What's new

Progressive scan turns my picture to gunk! (1 Viewer)

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
I just purchased a progressive scan dvd player for my 27 inch Sony WEGA TV that I got about 3 years ago.

While the picture is pretty darn good in regular dvd mode, the picture bends everywhere so you can't tell what you are watching when I activate the progressive scan mode. Does progressive scan not work with all TVs? No one mentioned when I bought the TV that it would not work with progressive scan players.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Progressive scan 480p signals only work on TV capable of displaying 480p signals or better ...

generally this means any set that is HDTV capable ... (with a few exceptions and sony is not one of them)

you can no more play 480p signals on the set than you can play HD signals ...

regards

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
Thanks for the info. I guess the progressive scan feature will only work on my FP, which already has one internally and does not need the feature on a dvd player. Oh well.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
What Michael TLV said. If your Sony WEGA is of either the FV or FS series, it's NTSC-only. These are 480i-only devices. There's no way they can display progressive-scan signals; they're interlaced-only.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Sony never sold a 480p capable set in the 27" size in North America, all were 480i only. His FP is probably capable of displaying 480p natively.

The presence of component video inputs does not guarantee progressive scan display capability, never has.

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
I have no idea what my FP does. It is a BenQ PB8220 and BenQ tells me it has an internal progressive scan feature that is better than those on most dvd players and that I should turn off any progressive scan feature on any dvd player hooked up to it. I am not a big tech person (as you can probably tell from my original question). All I know is that the picture from the BenQ is great.

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
It depends on what model BenQ and prog player you have. If it's a high class one like the Denon 910 or above it can give the projector a run for the money. If it's a 50 dollar best buy rig (nothing against that!) then use the projector.
BenQ used to be Acer, correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks