Progressive Scan to Analog TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin_Cas, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Kevin_Cas

Kevin_Cas Agent

Jul 20, 2002
    I am new to the forum. Hello everyone. One to my question: Is there any advantage to running a progressive-scan player to a non-digital
    television? I ask because I have a both a TV(Sony Wega FV-32FS13), and a
    Prog-scan DVD player(Toshiba SD5700) on the way, which I will be connecting
    with a bettercables silver serpent component cable(is there any other brand of cable that offers comparable performance without spending 10x the money?). The TV is cabable of
    16:9 Enhanced Mode(V-Compression), and the DVD player of prog-scan output
    and 3:2 pulldown. I wonder if the capabilities of the player will be
    "wasted" on an analog TV. If so, I might consider returning it(Maybe Not. I paid 217 for the DVD and 629.00 for the tv). Does anyone
    know if the Toshiba I mentioned put out a quality interlaced(since I wont be
    able to use progressive, right?) signal? Should I have even bought a
    progressive scan player for this type of television? Any info. is greatly
    appreciated. Im not exactly a "newbie", but some of the more advanced
    features confuse me, even after looking at many glossaries and help guides.
    Thanks in advance!
    P.S. Sorry for all the parentheses!
  2. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Mar 20, 1999
    If the TV won't do high definition (scan to 31.5khz) then it will not display a progressive scan signal. Interlaced only via component cables. Regards.
  3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Nov 1, 1998
    V-compression (16:9 mode on 4:3 TV) exists both in progressive scan and interlaced TV sets but is still not common. Check to see if your set has it. If so, you select 16:9 mode on the DVD player (any make or model) and turn V-compression on or off at the TV depending on what looks better for the DVD you are playing.
    Component video may be either interlaced or progressive or HDTV. S-video and composite video are interlaced only.
    Video hints:
  4. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Mar 16, 1999
    A progressive player, such as the 5700 will offer no benefit to your analog display. It's a fine player, the only issue being that Toshiba's have relatively poor down-conversion (or, at least, have in the past) for 16:9 enchanced movies. However, you say your TV _does_ support 16:9 compression, so this is also not an issue. Basically, you spent a little more than you needed to on a player today, but it also increases the life of your DVD player, since if (and when) you migrate to a HD display, you'll be OK using your current player.

The BetterCables interconnects are very good. You won't find anything better for the money, in my experience.

Also, 3:2 pull-down only effects progressive scanning, so that's not an issue in your current setup.
  5. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

Jun 1, 2002
    You'll never believe this shit. But Sears hadda progressive scan demo disc running on one of them progressive scan DVD players on a regular analog TV. WTF?
  6. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Mar 1, 2001

All progressive players that I'm aware of can also generate an interlaced output. I wouldn't be surprised if the salespeople at Sears really didn't understand the difference. The quality improvement between interlaced and progressive can be rather subtle. It'd be easy to have obvious image improvements be due to other differences in the way they setup their displays. You really can't evaluate a video display very well in a brightly lit store. *shrug*