Progressive scan receivers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AlanG, Oct 11, 2001.

1. AlanG

AlanG Auditioning

i have seen some receivers like some of the denons where it says it is capable of progressive scan, i want to know if this is true. Also i want to know the best receiver with DPL2 for under 1000

2. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

When you say 'capable' I think that simply means they can pass through progressive inputs (say from a progressive scan DVD player) to their video out.

3. Bob Lewis

Bob Lewis Auditioning

Yes, in the same way that loudspeakers suddenly became "digital" speakers back in the '80's.

4. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Bob - it's a bit different in that older receivers can't pass through progressive signals I believe, while newer ones can.

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

I'm surprised that lots of TV's are called digital when all of their inputs are analog and they employ CRT's which are also analog.
    What makes an A/V receiver "progressive" is the bandwidth of the video circuits inside it.
    You need 7 MHz for DVD quality 480i, 13.5 MHz for 480p, you need 37 Mhz but can get by with 20 MHz for 1080i, and you really need 37 MHz for 720p. It is good to get equipment with more bandwidth than you really need. If two components each have barely enough bandwidth, connecting them together probably will result in not enough bandwidth.
    Fifty years ago, inter-city TV coax cables were rated as color capable (4 MHz bandwidth) or not; most were about 3 MHz or a bit less which cropped off all the color from the composite video signal, or at any rate reduced the horizontal resolution to 240 TVL.
    More video history: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/rca2.htm
    [Edited last by Allan Jayne on October 12, 2001 at 07:44 AM]