What's new

Progressive Scan Question (1 Viewer)

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I want to replace my aging Sony DVD player. At lunch today, I ran up to Sears to check out their Panasonics, which were marked down. The salesman told me I needed progressive scan, since I had an HDTV-ready set, even though I did not have a set-top box and was not using it in the HDTV mode. I thought it was only for those with HDTV. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Progressive scan requires a TV that can handle a progressive signal. If your monitor is HD-ready (you didn't list the model, so I can't be sure), it should support progressive scan. I have an HD-ready Toshiba set (TW65H80) that's been displaying progressive scan for years, and I've never once used it with an HD source (soon, though).
Just remember that progressive scan requires a component connection (three separate cables).
M.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Thanks. My set is HD ready. It's a Hitachi 43FDX0IB. Now I have another reason to buy a new DVD player!

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Some players worth looking at are higher end Sony Progressive players and the Panasonics RP-56 and the RP-91.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I'm leaning towards the Panasonic RP-56. I don't seem to have good luck with Sony. My current DVD player is a Sony and I keep getting the dreaded error 13 message. My first CD player was a Sony and it crapped out a little over a year after I got it. Thought it might be time to try something different!

shankar

Stunt Coordinator
Pamela,

Why not try a Toshiba?? SD4700, SD3750 are 1 disk prg. scan. I have the SD3755 5 disk version and I love it.

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Between the two Panasonics, I'd take the RP-91 over the 56. Yes, the 56 has the much ballyhooed Faroudja deinterlacing solution (though not ALL of it), but it does have an annoying chroma problem. Not the chroma bug, but something else. The RP-91 is void of all chroma problems and produces a stunning picture. You'll also get DVD-Audio and better build quality to boot.

If its price is too high (though I believe it is heavily discounted now), then the new Toshibas are quite nice too. The 4700 and 5700 are really nice machines. Picture quality isn't quite up there with the RP-91, but still very nice.

/Jeff

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I will take a look at the Toshiba models this weekend. The RP-91 is nice, but out of my price range for right now. Of course, I could always go into debt, couldn't I? ;)

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
shankar, the video on the toshs looks great. There are problems with MP3 playback which is a bad signal for me. If you can screw something such as MPEG1-Layer3 stream there may be other problems.
I wish they'd address this problem, but as of yet they have not.
examples of audio problem can be found here...
http://www.geocities.com/iceweasel_14/tosh_mp3_bug.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks