1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Progressive Scan Question

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kendall T, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Kendall T

Kendall T Extra

Howdy,
    I have a Panasonic CT-32HXC43 HDTV monitor. In the manual, in section describing how to hook up a HD tuner or DVD player it says (this is the second paragraph, I’m thinking the first is irrelevant to my question):

“This television also utilizes a progressive scan doubler, which de-interlaces the NTSC signal and progressively scans the image.”

Does this mean that even though my DVD player does not have progressive scan, that my TV is providing progressive scan the same way a P.S. DVD player would?
    If so, does the progressive scan apply to all sources going into my TV or only the ones connected to my component inputs?

Thanks,
    Kendall

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yes, you may use an interlaced-output signal from a DVD player and the Panasonic will line-double it into a 480p image.

3. Kendall T

Kendall T Extra

Cool, now I can quit dwelling on the fact that I should have bought a P.S. DVD player (my wife will also be happy, no more whining from me[​IMG] )

Now what about my second question. Does it do this to all sources going into my TV (i.e. satellite), or only those using the component input?

Thanks for the reply

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Does it to everything you feed it. You can't turn it off.

Only 480p and HD material is shown native.

Just because a TV is progressive scan does not mean that it is good ... or bad.

There is such a thing as good PS and bad PS. You need to figure out what you actually have.

Regards

5. Kendall T

Kendall T Extra

I guess since I am a greenhorn, and don't have anything to compare it to, I won't know if mine is good or bad, correct?