What's new

Progressive Scan Question (1 Viewer)

Kendall T

Grip
Howdy,
I have a Panasonic CT-32HXC43 HDTV monitor. In the manual, in section describing how to hook up a HD tuner or DVD player it says (this is the second paragraph, I’m thinking the first is irrelevant to my question):

“This television also utilizes a progressive scan doubler, which de-interlaces the NTSC signal and progressively scans the image.”

Does this mean that even though my DVD player does not have progressive scan, that my TV is providing progressive scan the same way a P.S. DVD player would?
If so, does the progressive scan apply to all sources going into my TV or only the ones connected to my component inputs?

Thanks,
Kendall

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, you may use an interlaced-output signal from a DVD player and the Panasonic will line-double it into a 480p image.

Kendall T

Grip
Cool, now I can quit dwelling on the fact that I should have bought a P.S. DVD player (my wife will also be happy, no more whining from me:) )

Now what about my second question. Does it do this to all sources going into my TV (i.e. satellite), or only those using the component input?

Thanks for the reply

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Does it to everything you feed it. You can't turn it off.

Only 480p and HD material is shown native.

Just because a TV is progressive scan does not mean that it is good ... or bad.

There is such a thing as good PS and bad PS. You need to figure out what you actually have.

Regards

Kendall T

Grip
I guess since I am a greenhorn, and don't have anything to compare it to, I won't know if mine is good or bad, correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks