Progressive Scan question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen PI, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Stephen PI

Stephen PI Supporting Actor

On my Pioneer Elite pro510hd 16x9 tv I cannot view films shot in 1.33:1 in the progressive scan mode, it just switches to 16x9. Is this the same way on all progressive 16x9 tv's, or is the problem related to the dvd player?

2. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Does it let you manually switch it back to 4x3 mode or a zoom mode? If so, don't worry about it. The TV's just assuming that a progressive signal will likely be 16x9, which is fine as long as it let's you manually switch to a different mode. It can only make an educated guess on these things.

Also, not sure about your model, but many older 16x9 HDTVs do what we commonly refer to as "lock into FULL mode" w/ a progressive scan signal where they disable mode switching and force 16x9 mode. That would be a design flaw of the TV, not usually a problem w/ the player.

If you actually have that problem, you have to either switch your player to interlaced output OR get a player that can scale the non-anamorphic image to appear anamorphic to the TV for proper display in 16x9 mode. Not too many players can do the latter. The recent Toshiba's, the JVC's to varying degree(?), the Panny RP91, one of the Pioneer Elite models and maybe the new Philips 963sa can do this. There might be others, but not many more. It's a good feature to have even if you don't have the "lock in
    FULL" problem unless you don't mind the smaller image of plain letterboxed DVDs. When zooming such DVDs, the feature is good for better PQ in many cases or for keeping subtitles visible in foreign films.

_Man_

3. Stephen PI

Man-Fai wrote:
    "Does it let you manually switch it back to 4x3 mode or a zoom mode? If so, don't worry about it. The TV's just assuming that a progressive signal will likely be 16x9, which is fine as long as it let's you manually switch to a different mode. It can only make an educated guess on these things."

Thanks for the response Man-Fai. I cannot go back to the 4x3 mode, which makes watching anything in 1.33:1 unwatchable! You see, I don't want to see films intended for viewing in 1.33:1 in the 16x9 zoom mode - cuts off top and bottom - and in the full mode which vertically squashes it, no good either. I wanted to watch "Wizard of Oz" in progressive not interlace (what a difference!) and can't.

Man-Fai also says: "That would be a design flaw of the TV, not usually a problem w/ the player."

On the subject of design flaws, the Pioneer I own has problems reproducing a proper uniform black and white picture, I get a blue halo around the edge and a yellowy stain in the middle of the screen, setting color temperature is impossible. Also the blue gun is impossible to focus properly. Do you know if Pioneer have licked these problems - my tv is two years old - or are they still selling them as they are and avoiding telling the public about these problems when asked like they did with me, it's been a nightmare. Do you have any information on this?
    Thanks

4. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Pretty sure the x10 series does lock into full mode on prog input. Can you change your DVD player to output interlaced for the 1:33 material?

Doug

5. Stephen PI

Doug wrote:
    Pretty sure the x10 series does lock into full mode on prog input. Can you change your DVD player to output interlaced for the 1:33 material?

Hi Doug. Yes you can change the output of the dvd player to interlace to view 4x3.
    Can one view a 1.33:1 film on a p.s. capable 4x3 tv - in p.s. - or does it also change to 16x9?