Progressive scan question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by doug zdanivsky, Dec 16, 2002.

1. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky Supporting Actor

doug zdanivsky
    I keep hearing about progressive scan DVD players, and kind of understand what they do for picture quality, and the price has come down enough..

My question is: Does just the DVD player make the difference, or does the output device (TV, projector) have to be progressive-scan compatible as well?

Would the Sony W400Q be compatible? I seem to remember hearing how the projector that replaced the 400Q (the name escapes me) WAS progressive-scan compatible, but didn't hear wether the 400Q was not..

Thanks!

2. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

Only digital TV's will be able to display a progressive signal. Does you TV have Component connections and is it digital?

3. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky
    It does have component connections, I don't think it's HDTV ready, though. Is that what you wean by digital?

4. TimG

TimG Second Unit

If I remember correctly, the 400 will take a 1080i or 480i signal through the component inputs, but not a 480p. So no, I don't think you can use a progressive scan player with that projector. Check out www.thebigpicturedvd.com They used to have a 400q forum, although I haven't visited it in a long time.
    TimG

5. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky
    Ok, thanks Tim.