What's new

Progressive Scan Question/Help? (1 Viewer)

StevenF

Stunt Coordinator
I have the following equip:

Mitsubishi (VS-50803): 55 inch 1080 HDTV series
JVC (XV-S500BK): Region-Free Progressive Scan DVD player

When I switch the DVD player to progressive scan mode... the TV scrambles up and makes it unwatchable. I called Ken Cranes (where I bought the TV) and they said only the DVD player needs to be progressive scan to take advantage of the better picture. Is this true or do both the TV & DVD player need to be progressive scan capable? Or am I just doing something wrong.?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If your tv is a HDTV monitor then it IS progressive scan capable. There could be a problem w/ the tv or the dvd player.

ThadiusD

Auditioning
in the upper left hand corner there is a display it will say 480i or 480p p is for progressive. you have to be using component cables to get the progressive to come thru though

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
They said only the DVD player needs to be progressive scan to take advantage of the better picture.
Either they are clueless or something got misunderstood.

You must have a HDTV to take advantage of the progressive output of a DVD player or a XBox. Ordinary TV's wont understand the signal.

Steven: as to your problem, when you change the DVD player to progressive, you may have to also manually tell the TV to expect a progressive/480p signal on those jacks.

Check your manual to make sure:

- The jacks you are using on the TV can take HD video
- The TV expects to see progressive on those jacks

I dont know that all HDTV's auto-detect when you suddenly change the input from interlace to progressive.

Try this: Turn the TV to see the interlace/ordinary output from the DVD player. Change the DVD to provide progressive video. Then turn the power off to the TV for about 10 seconds and turn it back on. This may trigger it to accept the progressive video feed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks