Progressive Scan Problem

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Clayton_T, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Clayton_T

Clayton_T Extra

I recently purchased a Philips 32" HDTV (32PT830H). I do not yet have an HD tuner, so currently the only source I can plug into the HD input (via component video cables) is my JVC Progressive Scan DVD player (XV-S62).

During playback of a DVD, the screen size will occasionally zoom in and out rapidly. The amount of zoom is very slight and happens in a split-second. This only seems to happen during the first 30 minutes or so of playback. It does not occur when the disc is paused. If I open an on-screen menu for the TV settings while the glitching occurs, the menu text will zoom in and out along with the DVD picture. Also, this problem does not happen consistently.

I am having a hard time determining whether it is something wrong with the HD portion of my TV, or if it is the DVD player putting out a random glitch. I still have 2 months of warranty left on the set, but I will still be a bit paranoid about future failure even if it is fixed.

Has anyone had any similiar experiences?

2. John S

John S Producer

I understand the TV has circuitry to make sure your getting what it thinks is the best picture. maybe this is the TV doing its thing????

My philips is supposed to be here as early as tomorrow, so I will look for this as well.

3. Clayton_T

Clayton_T Extra

Thanks, John. I am beginning to suspect that it is the DVD Player. I have been really impressed with every Philips product I have ever purchased, so I really do not think it is the set.

I still can't get over the picture quality. I can not wait to get my HD tuner!

4. John S

John S Producer

I picked up my tuner last night, but the TV is still up in the air somewhat, the trucking company says, "as early as Saturday, but no later than Tuesday" for my TV. Cable HD is scheduled to be installed Wed. I picked up the tuner becasue if my set does come Sat. I want to make sure I am watching the NFL in HD on Sunday, and as I said Comcast HD is not going to be installed til Wed.

I wonder what DVD I should watch first?

I may have to go buy a new one. But I wouldn't mind watching T3 again either. I bought what is called Full Frame version, I don't know what that means exactly but the video seems sharper than most other DVD's I own. The DD soundtrack is extremely dynamic.

5. Clayton_T

Clayton_T Extra

As an update to this, I received an HD tuner for Christmas and had the same problem (it would happen once or twice every week). I beleive it was some kind of overscan setting which was glitching for some reason. I said "was" because it has not occured since purchasing a line conditioner about a month ago. Weird.

6. John S

John S Producer

If the set is getting large changes on the AC side, I could maybe see that a line conditioner could just be the cure.

7. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

Hey Clayton,
    I don't have that model but my Philips monitor has a multitude of zoom and wide screen settings, check to see if it's on "auto". Mine switches to the best picture on reg Ntsc broadcasts, but I don't usually have a problem on DVD's

8. Clayton_T

Clayton_T Extra

My set does not have an "Auto" mode, but it does disallow the "Expanded 4:3" option when viewing 480p material. So, it does somehow have unselectable "Auto" frame size settings or restrictions.

I asked my wife if she has noticed this problem, and she has not seen it happen since we purchased the line conditioner. I know we had some wild power surges and cut-offs at the house we lived in (we just moved) due to the extremely short lives of light bulbs and power reset indicators on our answering machine. I have absolutely no technical expertise to back up the "line conditioner" theory, but I'll settle for it until it occurs again!

9. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Many TV sets will have the picture enlarge very slightly when the overall scene brightness is greater. This has to do with internal power supply voltage regulation, and you probably can't do anything about it. This can also happen if power line voltage changes.

It is more noticeable if there are words displayed on the screen, or if the aspect ratio of the picture is different from that of the screen leaving dark top and bottom bars.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

10. Clayton_T

Clayton_T Extra

Thanks, Allan. I guess this explains the line conditioner eliminating the problem.