What's new

Progressive scan problem (RP56)....please help. (1 Viewer)

Richard_E

Agent
Something weird is happening, and it's probably something real simple/basic, but I'm a newbie, so please forgive the ignorance.

When I press in the button for "progressive output" on the Panny RP56, the TV is only showing it in 4:3 mode...so what I end up with is grey bars on the side (to get 4:3), then black bars on the top and bottom within that (to get the widescreen look). If I depress the button again to turn off progressive scan, it goes to widescreen.

It's happening on Gladiator. My TV is Sony KP-57HW40 HDTV.

I think it worked fine before, so I must've changed something. Please help!

thanks.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Richard,

When this happens, press menu on the TV remote, toggle over to Wide on the menu screen and check to see what it says under Wide Mode. If it says normal, try switching it to Full. With the set on Full and the dvd player setup properly, Gladiator should fill the screen side to side, with black bars at top and bottom.

I have the same set, and it sounds like it's going to Normal (gray bars on side) mode when you turn the player to progressive for some reason. I don't think the player can generate gray bars, so doubt if that's your problem.

The Sony doesn't lock on full when fed a progressive scan signal, only when fed 1080i by an HD STB.

Richard_E

Agent
Thanks for the help for a newbie. That did it. Apparently someone switched it to Normal even though I usually keep it on Full. I was thinking something was wrong with the DVD settings...never thought to check the TV.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks