Progressive scan problem on my Pioneer DV-444

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thik Nongyow, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Thik Nongyow

Thik Nongyow Stunt Coordinator

I have a Samsung TXM2797HF, a HDTV-ready monitor. I also have a progressive scan Pioneer DVD player, model DV-444. I noticed that when I set my DVD player to progressive scan and played a DVD, I noticed that the picture looked softer and darker than if I set the player to interlace.

What could be the problem?

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

It's possible that your TV has different settings for progressive and interlaced, and needs to be calibrated separately for both. Also, I think the Pioneer DVD players have picture settings that allow you to adjust some parameters such as brightness within the player to compensate. Unless you have a reason to use the player in interlaced mode just keep it in progressive and use Video Essentials or Avia to calibrate your TV to the player.

Sometimes a progressive image will appear at first glance to be softer than interlaced. This is because you're not seeing interlacing artifacts that tend to jaggy up the picture. Chances are you'll notice more detail in the progressive image, that were being lost in the interlaced artifacts.

KJP

3. Thik Nongyow

Thik Nongyow Stunt Coordinator

Thank you for replying, Kevin. Ever since I had the Samsung TXM2797 last week, something does not seem right in terms of picture quality even as I try to change the parameters on the set's picture control menu. I never thought I have to calibrate this set, and I am concern whether I can calibrate the TV to my own satisfaction using Avia (I am waiting for the disc to be delivered). I really do not want to pay $200 or more for a calibrator to do it for me.
    It seems that HDTV may have set my picture satisfaction to a higher level, to where I could no longer tolerate analog picture quality.[​IMG]