Progressive Scan possibilities

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by TravisKH, Sep 13, 2003.

1. TravisKH

TravisKH Auditioning

Do progressive scan dvd players require a HDTV? I have a sony WEGA model KV-32FV310. I'd like to get a progressive scan player because even though no one else can see the scan lines I can. Would I see an improvment with a progressive scan player? Thanks.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

The reason you can see the scan lines is because you have an analog/interlaced TV set. The digital/HDTV sets have twice (or more) as many vertical scan lines and so are less visible. You are only way to help is with a new display. An analog display larger than 27" diagonal shows the scan lines more - so I recommend an HDTV for 32" or larger displays. Even with an interlaced DVD player on a digital/HDTV display you get twice as many scan lines because the TV will upconvert it to progressive format.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

There are also extended-definition TVs (EDTV) on the market that can display 480p (but cannot render 720p or 1080i). But, yes, you need a prog scan-capable display to realize the advantages of a prog-scan DVD player.

5. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Are there any non-plasma edtvs? Or specifically, any tube ones?

6. Greg.J.G

Greg.J.G Auditioning

There are non-plasma EDTVs. In fact, I ordered one (43" 4:3 Rear Projection for $699). Since I haven't received it I can't comment on picture quality, but I'm planning on hooking my HDTV receiver up to it in 480p mode.

I'm not sure if there are any tube ones.