What's new

Progressive Scan possibilities (1 Viewer)

TravisKH

Auditioning
Do progressive scan dvd players require a HDTV? I have a sony WEGA model KV-32FV310. I'd like to get a progressive scan player because even though no one else can see the scan lines I can. Would I see an improvment with a progressive scan player? Thanks.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The reason you can see the scan lines is because you have an analog/interlaced TV set. The digital/HDTV sets have twice (or more) as many vertical scan lines and so are less visible. You are only way to help is with a new display. An analog display larger than 27" diagonal shows the scan lines more - so I recommend an HDTV for 32" or larger displays. Even with an interlaced DVD player on a digital/HDTV display you get twice as many scan lines because the TV will upconvert it to progressive format.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
There are also extended-definition TVs (EDTV) on the market that can display 480p (but cannot render 720p or 1080i). But, yes, you need a prog scan-capable display to realize the advantages of a prog-scan DVD player.

Greg.J.G

Auditioning
There are non-plasma EDTVs. In fact, I ordered one (43" 4:3 Rear Projection for $699). Since I haven't received it I can't comment on picture quality, but I'm planning on hooking my HDTV receiver up to it in 480p mode.

I'm not sure if there are any tube ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks