Progressive scan players....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Navid, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Navid

Navid Agent

I am ordered a newly revised Denon DVD-3800 progressive scan DVD player. I also have the Toshiba 65H82.

Do HDTVs like like my Toshiba need to have the option to disable their 3:2 pulldown/de-interlacing in order for the Denon's progressive processing to be effective?

Or does the TV automatically figure out that it doesn't need all the processing required when I use a Progressive Scan DVD-3800??

I am assuming that the TV see the feed coming in as a 480p signal when using Progressive DVD player. Therefore not needing it's progressive processing? And if I didn't have a progressive player, it would see it as 480i.. therefore needing to perform it's progressive conversions??

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

If you use the 3800's prog-scan output, the RPTV will rely on the player's processing (which includes 2:3 pulldown). If you were to use the 3800's interlaced output, the RPTV's line doubler would kick in. Better to go with the player's prog-scan output.

3. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

When using a progressive player, the set internal line double is by passed...You will have a superior picture with a progressive player than a interlaced player using a sets internal line doubler..