Progressive Scan Players Compatible with 4 x 3 Sets?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Jack Johnson, May 10, 2003.

1. Jack Johnson

Jack Johnson Second Unit

Hi,

In leafing through my television manual last night--I have a JVCAV27S33; a standard 27 inch, 4 x 3 television--I discovered a note about the set not being compatible with "progressive" dvd players.

Is this a misleading comment? Don't most "progressive" dvd players have non-progressive playback modes which would support their being used on standard televisions? Or, are these units totally incompatible with all non-HD televisions?

I ask mainly because my current, non-progressive player is getting a little long-in-the-tooth, and most contemporary dvd players seem to be labled "progressive". I want to be sure I'll be able to find a replacement dvd unit that will operate with this JVC should I need one.

I'd appreciate any input on this.

Thanks,

Jack

2. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

3. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Some older players had two sets of component outputs or a switch on the back to switch, but these days you can just usually turn progressive scan off in the menus. Furthermore, if you're not using component, it doesn't matter anyway.

4. Jack Johnson

Jack Johnson Second Unit

That's good news.

Thanks. I appreciate the help.

--Jack

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

You are asking two questions.

1. TV shape or aspect ratio setting on DVD player, usually in a menu. Use 4:3 if TV is 4:3 only, use 16:9 if TV has both 4:3 and 16:9 modes.

2. Interlaced/progressive setting on DVD player, usually a switch in back. Use interlaced if you use composite or S-video cable. (A few players will work with S-video regardless of the setting of the interlaced/progressive switch) Use interlaced for component video also if TV does not explicity accept progressive scan. Use progressive for progressive scan and HDTV sets. Whether or not the TV is 4:3 does not matter.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm