Progressive Scan Player on a non-progressive TV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robin Smith, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Robin Smith

Robin Smith Stunt Coordinator

Sep 27, 2000
    I have a Panasonic 27" TV (I know, I know...) and a Toshiba SD2109 Old Skool DVD Player. I am having ongoing problems with the player with freezing (not pause, but total freeze) on the layer shift. Plus it won't play VCDs, CD-Rs, MP3s or anything. These are features I would like.

Thus the convenient excuse to upgrade!

I know a guy who knows a guy who can get sub-dealer cost on Panasonic products. Thus I am in the market for a Panasonic DVD-RP82 or RP62. Both are progressive scan units.

My main question is how will the progressive scan look on a my non-progressive 27" TV? Better, worse, no difference? So long as it is not worse, I am happy with that, but I have no idea what to expect.

Both players seem to have pretty similar features, and for the extra $100 Canadian dollars, I would plump for the RP82, unless anyone has negative things to say about either.

Eventually, I will be getting a front projector system (possibly a deal from another contact on a CRT projector) so the player will eventually be able to be used with a display that can take advantage of the progressive scan features.

Input would be appreciated.

2. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Nov 5, 1999
    You won't be able to watch a progressive signal on a non-progressive TV. You'll have to switch the player to interlaced mode.
  3. Bob Sheen

Bob Sheen Stunt Coordinator

Apr 14, 2002