What's new

Progressive Scan or not (1 Viewer)

Daniel T

Stunt Coordinator
I have a question about Progressive Scan. I do not have a HDTV ready Television. I do not plan to purchase one for another two years. So would I be wasting money by buying a progressive scan DVD? If so what would be the best interlaced scan DVD player. I would appreciated any suggestion on the right DVD player for me.

MichaelGomez

Stunt Coordinator
Depends on what you want. Progressive scan will not work without an HDTV.

But, the new sony and panasonic players are progressive scan for less than $300. If you know that you will get an HDTV and aren't worried about new technology between now and then. . .

Daniel T

Stunt Coordinator
When I buy a HDTV, I plan to upgrade the DVD to the latest technology whatever it is. Also, my receiver only plays Dolby Digital and I plan to upgrade the receiver before I plan to upgrade the TV. So I guess it will be better to buy a DVD without Progressive Scan for now. I would just be spending extra money on a DVD player and not be able to use it to its full potential. I would like a suggestion on which non Progressive Scan DVD player to buy(JVC, Panasonic, Toshiba, Sony, Etc.)

MichaelGomez

Stunt Coordinator
The other thing is that sometimes you get better DVD players in the progressive scan models. There was a good review of the panasonic and sony models in the Jan/Feb issue of the perfect vision. It actually gave the sony a better score as far as normal (non-progressive) functioning is considered. It was the Sony dvp-ns700p. It lists on the sony page for $350 but can be found a lot cheaper. If you compare the cheaper models to this one you might just want to go for this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks