progressive scan on or off?

Jason-K

Auditioning
How do you know if you should turn the progressive scan on or off when watching dvds? Does it matter when watching dvds that are not 480p? should I keep it on all the time?
J

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
DVD's are 480i by nature. The player converts to 480p. Whether it should be on or off depends on a few things:

1) Does your display support 480p?

2) Does your display do a better job of de-interlacing than the DVD player.

If yes to 1) - keep it on unless yes to 2)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
If his display doesn't support 480p, switching on the player's progressive output will result only in electronic garbage. So, you have to have a 480p-capable display.

Jason-K

Auditioning
my display is a Samsung 43" DLP and yes I do have it connected to a 480p input, which means I'll keep the progressive on, but does displays de-interlace as well? I thought only players could do this? I need to check to see if the Sammy de-interlaces, or does anyone know this?

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Most likely, your Samsung will deinterlace/convert to 480p. Th question is, which deinterlacer is better, the one in the display or the one in the DVD player? Typically, the one found in DVD player will best the ones found in the display. Wht DVD player do you have?

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Most likely, your Samsung will deinterlace/convert to 480p. Th question is, which deinterlacer is better, the one in the display or the one in the DVD player? Typically, the one found in DVD player will best the ones found in the display. Wht DVD player do you have?

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
If your dvd player is not a very good one, chances are the Faroujda chip in the sammy will do a better job than the player. Try it both ways and go with what looks better.

Scott

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
If your dvd player is not a very good one, chances are the Faroujda chip in the sammy will do a better job than the player. Try it both ways and go with what looks better.

Scott

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbob7777