Progressive Scan on an Analog TV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Donnie Seals, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Donnie Seals

Donnie Seals Agent

If you have a signal converter that brings a digital signal to an analog tv, can you get progressive scan? I don't think it's possible, but I wanted to ask.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The short answer is no. Sorry!

M.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The long answer is no also. No HD capability, no prog scan. If the question is will it still give you a picture? Yes it will, in interlaced mode, not progressive.

4. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

What about a PC monitor? It is analog but is also progressive scan.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    A non-interlaced PC monitor is higher resolution than any TV I've ever seen (not including LCD and Plasma monitors).

I also haven't seen many that accept direct component video input from a video source.

6. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I have seen adaptors that convert component video(Y Cb Cr) to 15 pin VGA.

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

just as easy to pick up a DVD-ROM for your PC

8. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

But installing a DVD-ROM drive is not trivial or easy. If you don't know how to install accessories in your PC including the programs from the disk that comes with the accessory, you will have to hire an expert.
    By the time the video comes out of the HDTV set top box to go to the TV, it is really analog. Many if not most HDTV ready TV sets do nothing digital when playing HDTV, the only digital parts are the comb filter and line doubler used for regular TV broadcasts.
    Two things are needed to get TV pictures on a PC monitor.
    (1) If the monitor cannot "sync to" the scan rate, or number of scan lines per second, of the incoming video, you won't get any picture, or you will get something like the result of messing up the horizontal hold. In video terms, PC monitors sync to 480p, 600p, 768p, and sometimes 1024p and 1200p. A few will sync. to in between scan rates that may include 540p (1080i) and 720p at 60 frames per second.
    (2) Component video is approximately red, white, and blue. Trying to pretend it is RGB, without proper conversion, will not make the picture disappear but the colors seen on the screen will be wrong. Some monitors require that the sync. pulses, normally mixed with the Y part of component video, be extracted as part of the conversion and fed via different pins of the VGA plug, otherwise the monitor doesn't sync. to anything.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

9. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Yes and no. What we call digital TVs are really analog, it's just that they support 'digital tv', which is what we call HDTV and near-HDTV. The TVs themselves are very much still analog. I suppose a fixed pixel display with a digital input could be considered a true 'digital tv' (though it's all analog, in the end!)

An 'analog tv' is generally something that only scans up to 15.75khz, while in order to display a progressive signal it must be able to accept and display a 31.5khz signal.

Also, the output of progressive players is mostly analog anyway, unless it's via firewire/sdi/dvi. And you COULD convert it, but you would just end up interlacing the progressive signal and gaining nothing.