What's new

Progressive Scan = New RPTV? (1 Viewer)

DaveGB

Auditioning
I have a two year old Toshiba TW40H80 television. Great picture and overall love the setup. HOWEVER... I have learned that it is not capable of 480p. We want to upgrade our Sony 560D DVD player. The idea is to get a single component that will replace both the CD and DVD player. My options: Diva 88 (Arcam), Sony 9000es, Panny RP56.
Dilemma: Since my television is not capable of progressive scan, do I put the money towards a new TV or do I go with: the Diva 88 which (according to reviews) has a stellar picture rivaling the best progressive scan along with great CD sound no SACD or DVDA (approx $1200); the Sony 9000es progressive scan, SACD and good CD sound; New RPTV and Panny RP56 and buy CD/SACD player later?
The system is 75% movies (LOTS of Disney) and 25% music.
Is my TV worth anything for resale that I may apply to a new TV?
THANKS!
My System:
Integra 7.1 AVR
Sony 560D DVD
MB Quart QLC Series speakers with 2 Paradigm ADP 170s for Rear EX surround powered by Onkyo 2 channel 282 amp
Acurus 200x5 powering MB Quarts
SVS 20-39cs with Samson 700
Onkyo Integra DX C606 CD Changer
JVC S-VHS vcr

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
Dave,
I'm a bit confused here. Any television will playback a signal from a progressive scan DVD player, it just won't take full advantage of the DVD player's abilities.
...if on the other hand you are looking for an excuse to get your wife to let you upgrade to an HD television, you will definitely need an HD set to view your DVD's in their 480p splendor!
biggrin.gif

Spence
------------------
SpenceJT
Link Removed
"...now what's all this crud about no movie tonight!"
- Thank you Mr. Lemmon

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
I'm a bit confused here. Any television will playback a signal from a progressive scan DVD player, it just won't take full advantage of the DVD player's abilities.
Technically, yes, progressive DVD players also have the ability to output a traditional interlaced signal. Howver, there is no advantage to spending the money on a progressive DVD player, because you're still watching an interlaced signal.
The question at hand is, is it worth buying a new RPTV capable of progressive display? In my opinion you should audition the Diva player next to a progressive player and see what you think. A new RPTV will be comparatively a lot of money, but as you say, your system is 75 percent for movies.

DaveGB

Auditioning
Spence -
You are so right. This whole sickness reared its ugly head again last weekend when we could not make it through Mulan without skipping all over the place and the wife says... "maybe we need a new DVD player...". 'Nough said. Out the door I go to demoville.
Since my post, I have learned that big things are coming with next year's lines of RPTVs. Looks like I will wait until after the first of the year for the purcase. I am now in the market for an upgradable DVD player that can double as a high quality CD player. Thanks for your input!
Dave

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If your TV is still going strong you will probably want to keep it for two more years. In that case just buy a regular DVD player.
But if you want to spring for progressive scan, you need the progressive scan TV with or without a progressive DVD player.
Two years from now, the TV's themselvs will have better built in doublers and the difference will be hard to see between using a regular DVD player with the TV doubler versus a progressive player that skips the TV doubler. Even next year's TV's include some with excellent doublers. Also progressive players will be better at lower cost two years from now. The total cost you pay for a regular DVD player now and a new progressive player two years from now may well be no more than buying one progressive player now.
I would not go with a DVD player that plays CD's. I wouldn't want to consume the finite life of the DVD player playing CD's.
There is an another disadvantage to buying an HDTV now. It is unknown whether the amount of HDTV you can watch will be greatly diminished due to movie copyright policy. In a worst case situation, most movies will come through only in 480p quality (possibly still in 1080i format), only certain live broadcasts such as ball games, and also sitcoms, may come through in HDTV. A brand new TV would be needed at that time, say 4 years from now, to see movies in HDTV.
Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
[Edited last by Allan Jayne on October 07, 2001 at 07:37 AM]

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
Dave,
I've got a Toshiba 6200 (progressive scan) hooked up to my 65" widescreen 3rd generation Mitsubishi HD set. I didn't check out the "fine print", when purchasing my first pprogressive scan DVD player (Toshiba 5109). The 5109 played CDs fine, but would not play any CD-R disks. Since I have a few one of a kind record albums that I am archiving to CD, it was important for my DVD player to have the capability to playback CD-R and CD-RW media.
While it may not be a feature that you need now, you may want to check the details and ensure that which ever DVD player you decided to purchase can play DVD, CD, CD-R, and CD-RW.
JVC currently has a nice DVD 'changer' that plays all of those, as well as MP3 playback and is a progressive scan player too boot!
Keep an eye on www.audioreview.com and your favorite forums. Weed out whatever "personal bias" you find, and you can usually walk away from your research with a good idea what the consumers are saying about a particular product.
I would agree with the earlier poster. Pick up a normal DVD player that fits the bill. Line doublers, and video processesors are continually being upgraded, and prices continue to fall with every breakthrough in manufacturing. You will find a greater menu to choose from, when you purchase your HD television.
One word of advice when making that TV purchase. Get your best price, and then shop at the closest dealer in the nearest state (if feasible). Delivery may cost a bit more, but you will save sales taxes on out of state purchases... which you will of course claim at tax time. Weigh your options and learn to enjoy the painful anticipation! When you receive your goodies, it will all be worth it!
Regards,
Spence
------------------
SpenceJT
Link Removed
- Thank you Mr. Lemmon

DaveGB

Auditioning
Spence and Ken -
Thanks for your responses. The reason that I like the Diva 88 is that it is available as non-progressive with high quality picture. I was informed by the dealer that I could get an outside line doubler that would convert any non-progressive signal to progressive. The line doubler he showed me (cannot remember brand) was around $600.00. Would this be a good interim addition to my television while I wait for the next generation of RPTV? Would I be better off with a lower end DVD player if I added a line doubler (i.e. is it redundant to get a high quality DVD player and a line doubler?)?
Dave

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
The external line doubler will not work with a non-progressive TV.
Some people buy line doublers (with RGB out) to convert NTSC video to computer VGA and use their monitor as a TV. This works well in a college dorm room where not much space is available.
Stand alone doublers have been popular when videophiles were dissatisfied with the quality of the doubler built into the TV set and other program sources such as laserdisk (fading into obscurity) cannot take advantage of the doubler inside the DVD player.
When you buy your HDTV grade TV its built in line doubler will handle your VCR and viewing of regular TV shows in the event you choose to upgrade to a progressive DVD player. As TV sets come with better and better doublers, the role of the stand alone doubler will diminish.
[Edited last by Allan Jayne on October 07, 2001 at 02:24 PM]

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
...what Allan said.
wink.gif

------------------
SpenceJT
Link Removed
- Thank you Mr. Lemmon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks