Progressive Scan/Multi-Region question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John CW, Feb 2, 2003.

1. John CW

John CW Supporting Actor

Hi! I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm looking for a Progressive Scan Mult-Region DVD player that can output an NTSC compatible signal to an old NTSC TV from a PAL source.

I seem to have found one at barrel-of-monkeys.com but I've never heard of the make :/

Does anyone know anything about the R-Tech RJ3600? (http://www.barrel-of-monkeys.com/gra...rs/rj3600.html ) Or if not could anyone point me in the direction of a player meeting my specs?

Thanks a lot!

~ Johnny

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

All DVD players, progressive scan or not can output NTSC....

3. John CW

John CW Supporting Actor

Oops! Thanks for pointing out my error -- In my haste I forgot to mention that I wanted to watch PAL DVD's on an old NTSC TV (which almost certainly isn't PAL compatible) until I upgrade to a HDTV.

Still, if I could find a multi-region DVD player that was cheap and good quality (say around $300) I'd be happy for the time being at least! [​IMG]

Thanks for any help!

~ Johnny

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

5. John CW

John CW Supporting Actor

Wow! Looks good! Any idea of the picture quality though?

Thanks for the info!

~ Johnny

6. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

The Malata 520 does an admiral job when it comes to picture quality. The quality is much better than you would expect. If you could pick up the Malata flagship which is the N996 that would be the better route. However, they are no longer being made.

7. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

My friend has just ordered this JVC XV-S500BK. It should arrive next week and if you're interested I'll post the results when I get a chance to see it.

8. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

The JVC XV-S500BK is a fine machine. They are essentially the same as the Malatas, due to their use of the Mediamatics chipsets--this is what allows them to do the conversion from PAL to NTSC. However, having owned Malatas in the past, I'd recommend that you NOT get one due to quality control issues. That said, to be fair, Malata Canada who are the N. American distributor, always managed to come through with a replacement for me. I just couldn't stand the wait between shipping my player back to them and getting the repair/replacement. I currently use the JVC, with a region-free modification. It works like clockwork and I've been very happy with it. Picture quality on the Malatas and JVCs are pretty much identical. There are a number of places to find the region-free JVCs, but the two most popular are:

www.jvbdigital.com

www.hkflix.com

I got mine from JVB Digital and only have good things to say about them. They will also modify your JVC for you if you already have one--good option if you can find a used one for cheap. Or if your soldering skills are good, you can simply get the kit and do it yourself. I am in no way affiliated with the company. Good luck!