Progressive scan mode or built-in de-interlacer?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DarrylM, Sep 24, 2003.

1. DarrylM

DarrylM Stunt Coordinator

I have a quick connection question for you guys... Would I get better performance/picture quality using either:

A) The built in de-interlacer of my hi-def TV (Mitsubishi 42"), or

B) The progressive scan mode output of my DVD player (NAD 572)?

It's difficult for me to do an A-B comparison with my setup, so I'm hoping that someone has some experience or knowledge in this area...

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If you cannot do an A-B, do the following....

Place the setup in interlace mode and play the colsing credits on a movie. freeze the image (pause) and watch the subtitles very closely for shimmering around the text letters. Then play the same scene in progressive mode and look for a lack of shimmer.

If you have a movie like Twister then you can use Bill Paxton's tweed jacket as a test. Look for moire and interaction in his jacket in interlace mode and then look for improvements in progressive mode.

3. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Mitsubishi is known for having poor deinterlacer's, so you will most likely do better with your dvd player doing the progressive scan. The new Mits are supposed to be improved in this area. Test it out using Neils suggestion above.

4. DarrylM

DarrylM Stunt Coordinator

Well, I tested it out... But I wasn't really able to reach a conclusion. I didn't notice a huge difference on these static images, and it takes some time to switch back and forth between progressive and non-progressive with my DVD player.

I'm using the new Mitsubishi 42", if that matters. I guess my first question would be whether there is an inherent advantage to having the player de-interlace the image before the signal is passed to the TV? For instance, if the player de-interlaces the image in the "digital" realm during the MPEG decoding process versus the TV de-interlacing the analog signal... Or perhaps the fact that the TV has a bigger power supply might give it an advantage...?