Progressive scan makes my DVDs look... worse? Please help.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Josh Q S, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Josh Q S

Josh Q S Stunt Coordinator

Hello, I'm new to HDTV and I just got a huge deal on one the other day and I'm trying to figure this beast out, lol.

Here's the TV specs (Zenith 36" flatscreen):

http://www.visualsolutionsdist.com/P...D53_D36D53.pdf

Here's the DVD player specs (Sony DVD/VHS player):

The problem is this:
    I have the DVD player hooked up to the DVD component-in on the back of the TV via component cables. The DVD images look pretty darn good when I play it as it. However, when I enable progressive scan, the image gets all distorted and it kinda looks like it's doubling up.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

2. Josh Q S

3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Hmmm... That's an older HDTV model. Is it possible that you need to manually turn off the TV's linedoubler when feeding it a 480p signal? Maybe it's "re-doubling" the 480p signal, if that's the case. That could be a possible cause for what you're describing although that's just my educated guess.

_Man_

4. Josh Q S

How would I turn that off? Sorry for being such a n00b [​IMG]

5. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Sorry, I don't really know. Did you check your manual? There might be a switch for this or a button on the remote.

IIRC, some old HDTVs used to have this. But really, I'm just guessing at what your problem is.

_Man_

6. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

In the september 2002 issue of S&V, they review a 34" widescreen Zenith HDTV. The reviewer points out that while one of the component video ins. accepts 1080i, that the other one only accepts 480i and is then line-doubled (it doesn't accept progressive scan).

By reading the fact sheet on the website that you posted, it doesn't appear that this is the case with your tv, but it is possible, so I thought I'd pass that on to you.

Good luck,

Nick

7. Josh Q S

Hmmmm, that might be it. There are 2 sets of component-in, and I can only get hi-def with my Xbox on the "HD" input (as opposed to the "DVD" component-in). Perhaps I'll have to swap the connections and see what happens. Thanks for the help! (guess I'll have to buy some component splitter, huh?)

8. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Josh,

If that turns out to be the problem, you should check over in the Receivers/Separates/Amps section under this sticky thread to find an HD component video switcher that suits you:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=110726

I'm currently debating over the Inday (~$160) vs AVTool (~$90) myself. I will probably go w/ the Inday for the higher bandwidth (for good insurance) and likely cleaner signal path PLUS the black vs green(!) look.

_Man_