Progressive Scan Locked in Widescreen Mode

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Levi, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Levi

Levi Agent

Hi,

I have a couple of questions on progressive scan. My tv locks in widescreen mode when I'm viewing DVDs, which is a problem when I put in, say, the Simpsons. My DVD player can display it 4:3 with black bars on both sides. Is it better to keep the player in progressive scan mode and let the player alter the aspect ratio, or change the player to interlace mode and put the television in 4:3 mode and get grey bars on the sides? With which option do I get the best video quality, and is the risk of burn in with black bars significantly higher than with grey bars?

--LEVI

2. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

grey bars are better for the set, but in a dark room they look funny. you might consider making a black frame to hang on the tv to give you a black border, or use one of the tvs stretch modes to fill the screen.

ag.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Usually if the TV adds the side bars to accomplish this aspect ratio conversion, the quality will be better, but try it both ways and compare.

WHen the player adds the side bars in this kind of conversion, the video cables and more of the TV circuits need a higher bandwidth to carry the signal. This is because the pixels are 1/960'th the screen width in order to have 720 of them across the inner 3/4 of the 16:9 screen in a 4:3 shape.

An inferior conversion would keep 720 pixels all the way across and use (downconvert to) just 540 pixels across for the 4:3 picture. The Video Essentials or AVIA wedge (broom) resolution patterns will reveal this in the form of failing to resolve the entire upright wedges.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Next time buy yourself a TV that does not lock into 16:9 mode with progressive scan input.