Progressive Scan, Line Doubler, please help !

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Cole, Sep 6, 2001.

1. Jason Cole

Jason Cole Extra

Hi,
    Last week I bought the Panasonic 47inch rear projection widescreen. I love it, but that's not the point. I've got the plain old sony 5 disk changer and I'm thinking of selling it and picking up a progressive scan player. The question I have is weather or not I would benefit from this technology. The tv is 1080i capable and has a line doubler. Wouldn't the tv have to be 1080p to be compatible with a progressive scan player. Oh yeah, I'm using the best buy house brand of component cables. If this makes sense and anyone can give me a hand, i'd be forever grateful.
    thanks
    jason

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

The real question as to whether or not to buy a deinterlacer (doubler) or a progressive scan DVD player really depends on what you like to watch and how often. If you care about the quality of the picture for satellite/cable, VHS, Video Games that don't support progressive output (PS2), or watch a lot of concert videos and Anime, then you probably want a deinterlacer. If you only care about film based DVD, then buy the prog. scan player.
    There are/will be some fine deinterlacers on the market right now at not much more money than a decent progressive scan DVD player. The Videon Omega One deinterlacer using the Sage/Faroudja deinterlacing chip (the finest deinterlacing of video and badly flagged DVDs available because of DCDi) is being debuted at the CEDIA show this weekend. I believe that this is the company that requested input on what people would like to see in a deinterlacer under $1500 dollars. The price point should be announced at the show. Those that have seen it say that its better than the Iscan Pro, and it should be since it uses a better chip. Speaking of the Pro, it can be had for as little as $650 - $700 online. Perhaps less. It is a fine alternative and will still improve on the internal electronics of your tv.
    There are also lots of really nice progressive players on the market and set to debut soon, including some that use the same deinterlacing chip found in the Omega One. The Panasonic RP-91 is a forum favorite and a great deal if you like DVD-A. Panasonic also produces a model without the DVD-A feature that retails for less, but the model number escapes me at the moment. I hope this all helps.
    ------------------
    "Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde