Progressive scan issue.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John_K, Nov 30, 2003.

1. John_K

John_K Auditioning

I just bought a Denon 2200 DVD player, my Television is a JVC I'Art series, model 32P903 32" High Definition direct view model. Here's the problem, the picture doesn't look quite as good viewed through the component output (with progressive scan on) as it does when I hook it up through the composite output. The picture is sharper through the composite out while it's softer using the component out.

Can anyone think of any possible reason this might happen, I am really deoressed over this. At this point, I might as well take the Denon back and go back to my old Panasonic A110 unit.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Which set of component-video inputs on the back of the JVC is the Denon connected to? The wideband component-video inputs would be for 480p. Also, are your cables connected correctly? That is, do you have Y going to Y, Pb to Pb, and Pr to Pr? Some of the color coding on the cables can be misleading. (But you would notice gross chroma anomolies if you've misconnected.)

Barring a faulty component output on the player or input on the display, there's no reason why composite video would look "sharper" than component video.

3. John_K

John_K Auditioning

Hey Jack, thanks for replying. I looked at the manual and it doesn't mention anything about Wide-Band or anything differentiating the 2 component inputs. As far as the wiring goes, I thought I had that correct but I'll double check it.

Thanks

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Your video cables could be of marginal quality. Progressive scan needs a better quality cable at least for the Y, and deficiencies show up as a less sharp picture.

Have you tried component video connections but with non-progressive scan selected on your DVD player and going to the non-wideband jacks on your TV. Compare this with the composite video you had been trying. Retry using the composite video cable for the Y to Y.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

5. John S

John S Producer

Nuff to make a person with an HDTV on order grow old prematurely.

I have definet fears about stuff like this happening.
    Ahhh the trials and tribulations of leaving NTSC behind.

Do you at least have another set of cables to swap at least for trouble shooting purposes?

This will be my first experiences with component video myself.... Knock on wood...

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Did you turn on progressive when you switched between the two? There's a button on the front of the player, but even interlaced should have looked better via component than composite. Note: if you haven't calibrated with the player in progressive, your TV settings may be off. I found that in progressive, this player with my TV (Sony KV34HS510) was very sensitive to the sharpness setting and would give grain if not set correctly.

7. John_K

John_K Auditioning

Well it turns out that the cables were the problem. I was using a set of "RCA" brand cables from Walmart (about $25.00 I think). I went to Best Buy and and got a set of Monster Cables and the picture is now oh so sweet. Thanks to everyone who replied to my problem.

8. John S

John S Producer

Good to hear!!!! I'll probably be in the same boat, as I bought cheapie GE cables from CC...