Progressive Scan DVD VS. Regular

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Gretton, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Michael Gretton

I just purchased a Sony 32HS500. My first TV in 10 yrs. First Digital TV. Obviously, regular satellite doesn't look that impressive but I really want to use the power of the TV. How much more better is Progressive Scan DVD? Is it worth spending the $$? I already have an Xbox and 2 other DVD players. I wouldn't want to by a 4th if it isn't that much better. Any advice would be appreciated. I am sure this thread has been discussed before. Should I hold out for Progressive DVD going to 720 or 1080? Or is that not possible?

Mike

2. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

I believe some say if you are going from S-video to Progressive their is a big difference. If your already running component then the difference would be minor. I would say goto Best Buy pickup a Prog DVD player and try it out. If you can see the difference then take it back.

Kevin

3. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

Michael, if your DVD player has component output jacks on it then I would save your money. The TV converts incoming signals to progressive, anyway. Some people would argue that the DVD player does a better job at the conversion but that's really splitting hairs.

Some of the expensive DVD players aren't progressive...my $1200 Arcam isn't and I'm not missing anything.