Progressive Scan DVD Players and Older TVs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Barrie Maxwell, Jun 8, 2002.

1. Barrie Maxwell

Barrie Maxwell Stunt Coordinator

I want to replace my existing DVD player. I have a Pioneer Elite PRO-98 RPTV which is about 5 years old. Will a new progressive scan DVD player work with such a TV since I'm not planning on upgrading my TV for a few years yet. I understand that my TV can't take advantage of the progressive scan capability, but does that also mean it can't play a signal from such a player at all?

Thanks for any help.

Barrie

2. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

It'll work just fine. Progressive scan players have a switch that allows you to select interlaced or progressive. You'll just be running it interlaced.

3. Joe.Kuta

Joe.Kuta Stunt Coordinator

as long as the dvd player has a switch for "interlaced" you can play it on ur old tv. it won't offer any improvement on a non-progressive player though.

4. Tony_La

Tony_La Stunt Coordinator

I'm in a similar situation. I have a new TV (which I just bought a few weeks ago, so I do not plan to upgrade for a long time) that is analog, and am in the market to replace my old DVD player. So you're saying that a progressive scan DVD player wouldn't improve picture quality on a non-digital TV? So I would be better off getting a "higher-end" non-progressive scan DVD player than spending money on a progressive-scan one? Thanks!

5. Joe.Kuta

Joe.Kuta Stunt Coordinator

hdtv's use progressive scan, reg. tv's are interlaced.
    therefore, you would have to bypass this benefit in order to use the dvd player w/ a reg. tv, by outputing in "interlaced."
    Thus making the progressive dvd player just a regular interlaced dvd player.

Unless you plan to upgrade to hdtv and want to be ready w/ ur dvd player, get the non-progressive.