Progressive Scan DVD Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_Y, Jul 23, 2002.

1. John_Y

John_Y Auditioning

I am seeking some help in buying a new DVD player. I recently bought a Panasonic Wide Screen High Definition tv set. I am going to buy a progressive scan dvd player to work with it. I alreay have a Denon 3802 Receiver. I am thinking of buying the Denon 2800 DVD Progressive Scan but it costs around $700.00. Many other Progressive Scan DVD players can be purchased for about $200.00 and I am wondering if the Denon is really worth the diffence in price.

Can some of you give me your opinions on whether the Denon 2800 is worth the money and if not, what would you recommend.

Thanks.

2. Nathan Harwood

Nathan Harwood Auditioning

I'm looking for the same advice. I'd like to replace my existing (read: Broken) DVD player with a nice new unit, that'll run me around $200.00 (give or take).

I'll be using it with a Pioneer Elite VSX41 and eventually with a front HDTV LCD projector.

Any suggestions are apprciated.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The Denon 2800 has been well reviewed in the A/V press, but you would be hard pressed to see any visual improvements over such units as the Sony 755 and other inexpensive prog-scan players. It comes down to the feature set you prefer. The Denon is a good machine, though. (I'd opt for the similarly priced Sony 900V.)

4. Nathan Harwood

Nathan Harwood Auditioning

Thank you for your advice Jack, however, I don't have $600+ right now, so what do you think about Sony's new 715? (No need for the on board decoder of the 755)

Anyone have an opinion on the Sony DVP-NS715P??

Thanks

5. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Nathan, check out the various threads in the audio/video sources group. Two models being actively discussed are the Toshiba SD4800 and the Panasonic RP82. I'd also be interested in how you like the Pioneer VSX41. I have the 811S and after playing with the the VSX41, it seems like it is the Elite version of the 811S with the same features and processing on board.

cheers,

--tom