What's new

Progressive scan DVD player (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I've never had a prog. scan DVD player.
I've got some money from BestBuy.ca and am looking at their players they have available. I'm tossing it up whether to get an expensive player, or a cheap one and then wait for the Blu Ray ones to come out.

Has anyone here got any experience with a Panasonic S97?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I don't have any experience with that player.
What type and size of display is it for?
There are some pretty good inexpensive players out there. I would get an inexpensive one, then upgrade when the HD players are within your budget. That's what I plan to do.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I think most prog. scan players will look excellent on that set. The Toshiba 3960 has gotten great reviews for an inexpensive player.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
You might want to choose only from the progressive scan DVD players that Stacy Spears and his reviewers had given high ratings to. Do a Google search for Stacy Spears Shootout Secrets and read the reviews pointed out.

There are progressive scan DVD players out there that give a picture no better when using their progressive output compared with using their interlaced output. The reason is that the de-interlacer built into the player might not be all that good. Such a shortcoming would be seen with that player no matter what TV set you connected the player to. A player that does not have motion adaptive de-interlacing or does not have 3-2 pulldown sensing will likely have a lower score in reviews.

Just about very TV that accepts both interlaced and progressive scan material has its own de-interlacer for interlaced inputs and displays all material on the screen the same way. So the only need to get a progressive DVD player is after you looked for and found interlacing deficiences in the final picture when using the interlaced component video output.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks