Progressive Scan DVD player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MichaelM, Oct 28, 2003.

1. MichaelM

MichaelM Agent

hello:
    i have a Phillips progressive scan DVD player hooked up via component cables to a Hitachi HDTV-ready 53" tv. On some DVD's everything works fine with progressive scan turned on. On most, however, there are problems. the main thing is that the picture will go black every so often. it usually only stays black for a few seconds and comes back but it's very annoying. i've noticed that it's mostly on older dvd's, but not always. on some dvd's, like Fellowship of the Ring extended edition, it works fine all the way through. the other thing that's happened with this player is that the "blue" cable in the red, green, blue component cable has "gone out" twice. all of sudden the screen goes really green or red and once I change out the blue cable it looks normal again. It's happened twice which is really weird. a friend of mine who used to work with (as a PR consultant) Phillips said there were problems with their first generation progressive scan dvd players. this one is about a year or so old so it would probably fall into that category. Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Yeah I noticed defects with many Philips models, I now use other manufacturers like Panasonic, JVC, or Denon instead - they are more reliable.

3. Dale B

Dale B Stunt Coordinator

Hi MichaelM. I have a 43 inch Hitachi HDTV-ready proj. t.v that blacks out also. Only in progressive scan only. Mine is almost three years old and there was a flaw in the hitachi hdtv sets back them. I am not sure how old your set is but Hitachi would repair it under warranty, but I would have to pay because mine was out of warranty. I just use the t.v's line doubler with component cables and am satistied for now.I have had no problems with the cables so it could be the dvd player also.

4. MichaelM

MichaelM Agent

Thanks for the replies. It seems like it could be either the TV OR the DVD player! The TV is about 2.5 years old at this point. What do you mean about a line doubler? Has that stopped the blacking out issue? Have you noticed it's worse on older DVD's? Would that even matter? Thanks!

5. david stark

david stark Second Unit

hmmmm, I've just recently bought a HDTV (Toshiba) and I've had no problems with it using DVD's, but a few nights ago I tried a HD pay per view movie using my new HD cable box and it occasionally blacked out for a second or two (the sound continued fine). One time it didn't come back after 5ish secs and I changed channel (on the cable box) and back to the film and the pic was there again.

6. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

There was a blackout problem with Hitachi RPTVs when using progressive scan players. This problem was covered extensively in the Hitachi forum at Home Theater Spot. Just do a search in the Hitachi forum, and you can find out which models had the problem, the exact service bulletin number, part numbers, etc...