Progressive Scan DVD Player V.S. Line Doubled Monitor

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dale Lewis, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Dale Lewis

Dale Lewis Auditioning

This question has been nagging me for some time now. Since I plan to purchase an HDTV ready, line doubled, front projection TV early next year, is there any point in moving up to a progressive scan DVD player, from my Sampo DVE-631CF player? Where is the best 3:2 pulldown, line doubling going to take place, in a good, progessive scan player, or a good widescreen TV?

Does the use of a progressive scan DVD player, together with a line doubled TV, offer any picture quality advantages/improvements? Or....are there too many variables I'm not addressing in such a simplisticly phrased question, to answer with any degree of certainty?

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Dale,

If pulldown and progressive scan is done in the player, it's done before the signal is changed to analog, so there's just one digital to analog conversion. If it's done by the tv, it is digital to analog in the player, then analog to digital (for line doubling and pulldown) and back to analog in the set. Generally the fewer times the D/A conversion takes place, the better the picture quality.

In practice, if the line doubler and pulldown in the set are very good, as in the Pioneer and newer Sonys the difference is not huge. If your budget is tight, you don't necessarily have to get a progressive scan player right away.

3. Dale Lewis

Dale Lewis Auditioning

Thanks, Steve, that makes sense to me. Your views are much appreciated.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    That is also the same question that was on my mind after the recent projector upgrade in my HT. I still have a fairly old Toshiba 3108 which would mean I would have to use component (interlace) and "double" at the projector. Problem is though, that my player is trouble free. I don't want to upgrade it now unless I have to, and add to that HD-DVD coming soon? It would be nice to do just the one upgrade to a HD-DVD player without having to make an intermediate upgrade.

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Neil,
    Chances are you have excellent doubling from your projector and wouldn't notice a huge improvement with a progressive scan player. I just have a Sony KP57HW40 rptv, and went to progressive scan mainly because my interlaced player was starting to show symptoms of impending failure (reluctance to load discs, occasional pixellating) so I was due for a new player anyway. When the old player was working properly the picture quality was quite good. I did notice some improvement with the 480p player, but not a huge one. Chances are your setup has even better doubling than my rptv.

On the other hand, who's to say how long it will be before HD-DVD players are settled out as far as format and elimination of possible initial production model glitches?

Unless you insist on having really high end gear, a good-performing progressive scan player can be had for around $200 as an interim step until HD-DVD comes out.

6. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Supporting Actor

It would be best if people didn't use the term "line doubling" to describe how HD-ready TV sets display 480i material. The process is actually pretty significantly more complicated than that. In my Sony 36XBR800, for instance, there is a deinterlacing/reverse pulldown stage and a separate stage that upconverts the resulting signal to 960i to be displayed.