Progressive scan DVD player incompatible w/ HDTV

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John Richard, Dec 3, 2003.

1. John Richard

John Richard Auditioning

Hello All,

Being an early adaptor, I spent a small fortune on Sony's first widescreen direct-view HDTV: KW-34HD1 (circa 1998). It has been my pride and joy and still, in my opinion, rivals many of the newer HDTVs currently available.

I've owned Sony's self-proclaimed reference standard DVD player: DVP-S7700 (also circa 1998) for a few years now and have been consistently impressed by the quality of the video.

But, I got the hankering for a progressive scan DVD multi-disc changer and just purchased a Sony model that is in route to me now. I did this after much research and comparison shopping, but I was so focussed on that, I failed to determine whether the progressive scan DVD is compatible w/ my HDTV. I just assumed it would since the Sony HDTV has an HD component video input (Y/PB/PR) at 1080i and a second component video input (Y/PB/PR) at 480i.

Well, I did a little research online and imagine my horror to discover that my HDTV does not accept the 480p progressive scan! I cant believe I missed this!

Short of upgrading to an HDTV that is compatible w/ the 480p progressive scan, does anyone know of any possible workaround via some kind of device or component that would convert the 480i to 480p until I finally ready to upgrade my HDTV?

Also, will I be able to even use the component video cables to hook the new DVD player up to the HDTV like I do now w/ my old one, or will I need to settle for S-Video and a lower quality video reproduction?

Any help is greatly appreciated...

John

2. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

You can't solve that problem with external gizmos. From what I read in your post, and in a page I found via Google search, it appears to be the TV that has the problem.

There's one Web page that speaks of a service menu hack to make that TV accept a 480p signal. The page also warns that random key presses "CAN SCREW UP YOUR SET!" Given the cost of that set, I don't like the sound of that, and I would not recommend that approach.

A safer approach might be to use 480i (interlaced) DVD player output, with the DRC feature of the TV. One site said that DRC is like an internal line doubler.

Another possibility might be to contact Sony. Maybe one of their technicians could do some supported "magic" on the TV (firmware upgrade, service menu change, whatever) to get it running 480p in a supported way.

3. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

4. John S

John S Producer

Don't despare to much on it....

Soon there will be lots of external products with multiple inputs and scalers built in.

They will be able to take the 480p and scale it to 1080i for your TV. They are out now, but in the future features like this will be built into lots of devices.