1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Progressive Scan DVD player: How much of a difference?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Harnish, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

The subject says it all. How much of a difference would I notice on my Sony WEGA KV-32FV27 while using a progressive scan DVD player? Would it accept a progressive signal through the component inputs? Would there still be an improvement in the picture quality to warrant upgrading? I currently have a Pioneer DV-525.

BTW, the player I'm considering purchasing (after my audio system) is the Toshiba SD5700 Progressive Scan DVD player.

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

If I am right (check me), this TV is not HDTV-ready. That is, its only display mode is 480i, not 480p or better. So, I don't think it can take progressive input at all.

3. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

that is correct, only the XBR series of Wega's will accept a progressive scan signal.

4. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Does that mean that that player would be useless on my TV? Should I just stick with my Pioneer DV-525 until I get an HDTV-ready set?

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I would, unless there was some other reason for me to upgrade my player.
    M.