progressive scan dvd..is it worth it

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RossB, Dec 13, 2001.

1. RossB

RossB Extra

I have a toshiba sd3205 5 disk DVD player. It is connected to a toshiba 50hx70 through a Harmon Kardon AVR510. I have been condsidering a toshiba 4700 progressive scan DVD player and was wondering if it would make much of a difference. I am not unhappy with the current DVD player but I have been considering buying a dvd player for my upstairs TV. I am wondering if I should buy the 4700 instead and just move the old DVD player...or just buy a cheaper DVD player for upstairs ...comments??[​IMG]

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

My understanding about progressive scan is a couple of things. First, you need a t.v. with not just component inputs but inputs that handle higher frequency (lack of the correct word) than just your basic component input. It also has to be the same with HK AVR-510. Second you have to concerned on how your player handles 3:2 pulldown. Now I mention these because I know and expert will soon answer your question and he or she will mention these aspects.

3. Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis Supporting Actor

Bill Buklis
    The short answer is yes it is worth it. The long answer depends on whether or not you can actually take advantage of it. You need a digital TV (HD or HD-ready, for example) with component inputs (probably all of them nowadays) in order to display the progressive signal. Basically this step bypasses the line doubler for a cleaner image. With a standard television you won't be able to use the progressive signal.

If your toshiba is an HD type then, I'd definitely get it. Also consider the sony NS700P progressive scan player as another option. If you like the Toshiba player better, then that's fine too.

4. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Without a doubt! A progressive scan dvd player is a must if you have a tv that can take advantage of it. If your tv has component video inputs and is widescreen, then there is no reason not to have one. If your tv does not have component inputs then there is no point in buying a progressive scan dvd player,unless you plan on upgrading you tv in the future. But the difference is really night and day. With my old non progressive dvd player I was happy but noticed scan lines and I knew I was looking at a digital picture. When I moved to progressive scan, wow, picture was very smooth, filmlike, and ther are no scan lines at all. The picture really is stunning. And not only that, I got dvd-audio as a bonus. Yoou can get very good progressive scan dvd players with dvd-audio for a very good price. My progressive scan dvd player is the JVC XV-723GD. I only paid $300 for it.

5. Jantzen

Jantzen Stunt Coordinator

If this is your tv here then I say yes a progressive scan DVD player would be for you...
    It looks like you can accept 480p and your tv will go to 16:9 mode to boot (this you can use without a progressive scan dvd player by the way).
    Seeing as a decent progressive player can be had for a little more than $200 bucks I say it's worth it. If you buy locally from someplace with a generous return policy - like a Best Buy - pick up a player and try it out. Some TV's already have 3:2 pulldown detection and it works pretty good so the change to progressive scan isn't so drastic.
    For me - my HDTV does not have 3:2 pulldown detection so progressive scan was a nice upgrade.
    I recently upgraded to a Panasonic RP-56 for $200 bucks replacing a $700 Toshiba 5109 and have been pleased with the results...
    To learn more than you want to about progressive scan go here

6. Chuck_C

Chuck_C Stunt Coordinator

Ross - I have the same HDTV as you and am using the progressive Sony DVP-NS700P. I have been very satisfied with the setup.