Progressive scan DVD and Film setting on TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithL, Mar 29, 2002.

1. KeithL

KeithL Auditioning

Hello,

I received my Toshiba 57HX81 today and recently purchased a progressive scan DVD player. My question is - do I use both the 3:2 pulldown (FILM) on the TV and progressive output on the DVD player at the same time? Or am I only supposed to use one or the other? Thank you.

Keith

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

When you use progressive output from your DVD player, the TV's built in doubler is skipped, it doesn't matter if the TV film mode (3-2 pulldown sensing) remains selected.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. KeithL

KeithL Auditioning

Thanks. As a follow-up, is this FILM setting only relevant when watching a DVD? or does it also improve broadcast television? I guess I might as well just leave it on all the time, unless there is some reason not to. Thanks again for the advice.

Keith

4. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

Keith-

What dvd player did you end up with and how do you like it? I have a 50h81 on the way next week and am debating which player to get.

Have fun

Ace

5. KeithL

KeithL Auditioning

Ace,

I have the Toshiba SD-5700. It seems to work very well, but I haven't compared to others. My only other DVD player is a 3 year old Sony, non-progressive scan, that is going in the bedroom. I was looking at the SD-4700 after reading good reviews of it for progressive scan players in the $200-$250 range, but got a deal on the 5700 when I bought my tv. I think it's the same except it can play some additional audio formats.

I would recommend looking at the cnet review and search in this forum and on deja.com, there are several good progressive scan players in this price range. I'm sure if you want to spend more there are models that are supposedly better. I really like the new Toshiba TV, my only gripe is that cable reception is so-so. Some channels look excellent while others aren't so hot. I'm told a satellite signal should give a much better picture, so I'm going to look into that. DVDs look amazing, and I haven't calibrated it yet with Avia. Enjoy your new set.

Keith

6. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The Panasonic RP-56 is excellent if you can find one. They're about $200. They use the Faroujda chip to handle the deinterlacing, and it's the best chip on the market. There's also no chroma bug using this player, unlike many many others.