Progressive Scan DVD and a normal TV

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Pedro Diaz, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Pedro Diaz

Pedro Diaz Agent

I have a 29" Samsung TV. Its is a flat model. But it is not a HDTV model.

If I buy a progressive scan DVD, comparing it to my actual DVD player (not progressive scan), do you think I will be able to tell any difference? I will be able to see any image improvement? Is it worth it?

Or should I save my money, and in the future, first I should buy a HDTV and then a progressive scan DVD player?

Thank you very much for your support.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Your TV will not be able to display a progressive scan picture, most likely you'll need to leave the DVD player with an interlaced output (if your set even accepts component inputs). Most players now are progressive, so if you did buy one it might as well be progressive as you may upgrade your TV down the road.

Since you already have a DVD player, there will be NO benefit since you cannot utilize 480p, other than differences between video quality in different players. IMO, there's no reason for you to get a new DVD player if yours works fine.

3. Ron.T

Ron.T Agent

I don't think you will see any difference any difference untill you get a HDTV tv.

Ron

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

No "thinking" involved; you won't see any advantages with an interlaced-only set. But getting a prog-scan player makes you future-compatible for when you do get a prog-scan display.

5. Bryan_K

Bryan_K Stunt Coordinator

Progressive scan & "normal" DVD players are just about the same price nowadays. IT's a no brainer.

6. Pedro Diaz

Pedro Diaz Agent

My Samsung TV has a "DVD in" labeled input (Y, Pb and Pr), so it has a component input, but there is no text in the manual saying that it accepts a progressive scan signal.

My actual DVD player has a component output but it is not a progressive scan DVD player. *sight*

Well, it seems that I have to save money to buy a HDTV and a progressive scan DVD.

Fortunately, there is a store in Mexico, that only for today you can buy anything you want, pay it in 13 payments (13 months) without any fee or interest and you will get back 20% to spend in the store anytime you like. If my budget and my wife give me some freedom, I will get a HDTV. [​IMG]

Thank you very much for your help.