Progressive scan component inputs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh P, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Josh P

Josh P Agent

Is there such a thing as prog scan compatable inputs or are all component inputs prog scan compatable? I'm asking because i'm considering buying a fptv and I was wondering whether i have to look for this in particular?
    Thanks

2. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

Yes component imputs have to specifically capable to receive a progressive image. Most new TVs all are capable of taking a progessive image. Some older or 4:3 TV's cannot. So yes, this is something that you need to insure the TV has. Component doesn't automatically mean progressive.

*edit* My wording was rather confusing. Just because a TV has component inputs, does not mean that it can accept a progressive signal. Hope that clears it up.

3. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

The TV itself has to bean HDTV capable TV (or at least EDTV, but those are rare now).

4. Warner

Warner Agent

I'm sorry, but this is a common misconception. I'm sure others will confirm that there are many non-HD, non-progressive scan sets out there, that have component inputs. Right now I have a dvd player connected to my Sony Wega 36FV26 via component, it's not a progressive playeer or a progressive display.

5. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

6. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

I edited my post. I guess my sentence structure could use some work! [​IMG]

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

In fact most new so-called "analog" TVs have component-video inputs--but that doesn't mean progressive scanning.

On so-called HD-capable or "digital" sets, there are usually two sets of component-video inputs: one for "regular" interlaced signals and a wideband input for HD tuners or prog-scan DVD players.

8. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Sony and Hitachi give you 2 sets of component video inputs, both of which will accept 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i, so you can connect a progressive scan dvd player to one set of inputs and an HD tuner to the other. Some other mfgs also offer 2 component inputs that will accept anything, but as Jack said, some will only do HD or Progressive scan dvd through one of their 2 sets of component inputs.

High bandwidth component video switching can also be done through some AV receivers or some dedicated component video switchers.