progressive scan better then PJ's line doubler?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tim Knapp, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Tim Knapp

Tim Knapp Agent

I was wondering if a progressive scan dvd player would be worth the money sinse the internal line doubler of my mitsubishi xd200 does a heck of a nice job being fed by a standard dvd player(Toshiba sd1600). -Or so i think. Howerver, I've never tried a progressive scan player. Im thinking id my video source is better, then maybe that would be even better? Since i've read where most progressive scan dvd players are essentialy line doublers, would I have to turn my projectors liner doubler off if fed by a progressive scan dvd player? I'm all for improving my dvd video quality where possible. Could someone enlighten me?

Tim

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

If you feed in a progressive video source, the TV's built in doubler is inactive, automatically in most cases. (Some TV's require that progressive video be fed in using a different set of jacks).

A progressive player has a slight quality edge over the TV's doubler for most film source DVD's. Depending on the quality of its doubler, the player may or may not be better for non-film source DVD's and an occasionally not-so-correctly produced film source DVD.

For comparison:

The improvement in changing from composite (yellow jack) video to S-video from the DVD player is large.

The improvement in changing from S-video to component video (still interlaced) is small.

The improvement in changing from interlaced component video to progressive scan (component video) from the DVD player is very small when both the TV and DVD player are of high quality.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/viddoubl.htm

3. Tim Knapp

Tim Knapp Agent

Thanks for the reply Allan. However, im using a projector and not a tv. I'll have to check my documentation and see if my projector turns the line doubler off when being fed from a PS dvd player. The long and the short of your answer is it sounds like i won't know until i trie a progreesive scan dvd player to see if its better then my projectors line double.