Progressive Scan being utilized properly?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by BertFalasco, May 24, 2003.

1. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

I can't wait another second without asking.
    Running Splinter Cell in progressive is defined but during FMVs, there is noticeable pixelation, is there something I have to turn on or off on my Mitsubishi 65" set?

Zelda looks superb though.. [​IMG]

2. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I ran it on the X-Box, and the movies looked bad. The game would look good, the cinematics would be excessively pixellated. More than once I checked to make sure progressive was running.

Guess it's just the game.

3. James_tango

James_tango Stunt Coordinator

The noticeable pixelation on FMV is called compression artefacts. [​IMG] And there's nothing you can do about it.

You can greatly reduce it by purchasing a 'pre-processor' called Miranda DT-4101 which costs about $10k. [​IMG]

Just don't forget that MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, WM9... all these are compressed plus they're lossy compression algorithm. When things are done correctly, artefacts can be avoided greatly....but we all know what they're like. [​IMG]

4. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

Damn, how dare Ubi put the "the most advanced game graphically" or something such as on the back of GC box!

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

The in-game graphics are fantastic. To say that it has the "best ever" would be a bit of an overstatement, but I certainly wouldn't fault UbiSoft for a little hype. Especially since the only "sore spot" is the FMV.

-Dave