What's new

Progressive Scan and SACD (1 Viewer)

Kevin Kealey

Auditioning
Hi folks. New to the board and very impressed so far, but I have a question. I tried a search but didn't see an anwer to this. I am in the market for a new DVD player, and was interested in one with progressive scan. At the same time, I would want it to handle SACDs, but from what I have seen they appear to be unavailable on the same machine. Is that true, or am I missing something here?

Due to money constraints, I need to combine my theater and stereo system in the same room, and would prefer not to have to buy two separate components to ahndle my DVDs and any SACDs I may purchase.

Anybody have any inputs on that? I'd appreciate it greatly.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, welcome to the Forum. I am responding to your question assuming you are in the US, so I will be quoting US models and prices. At present, Sony is offering two progressive-scan DVD players with SACD playback capability. They are the DVP-NS900V and DVP-S9000ES. The 'S9000ES is an older model, as it was released in December 2000. As such, it does not play multi-channel SACDs; just stereo SACDs. However, it is an excellent component in terms of overall performance and build quality. When first released, it retailed for $1500, but Tweeter stores in my area are now selling it for $800. It is due to be replaced by a multi-channel ES model this year, though there is limited information available on a replacement model.
The 'NS900V is a newer model than the 'S9000ES and plays multi-channel SACDs. It is not an ES model and is not built as well as the 'S9000ES, but it is a solid machine nonetheless. When the 'NS900V was released last fall, it sold for as much as $1000, but it is now available for $600 or less. Despite the quick price drop (happened only a few months after the player was released), I have heard nothing about it being replaced with a new model this year, but that is always possible. Overall, I feel the 'S9000ES is the better component, but some say the 'NS900V as the newer player is better on the video side. Of course, the 'NS900V does offer multi-channel SACD playback, which is worth considering.
Pioneer recently released the Elite DV-47A, which also plays DVD-Audio discs. On the SACD side, it plays both stereo and multi-channel discs. The '47A retails for $1200, but Tweeter sells it for $1000. J&R Music World (authorized dealer; 1-800-221-8180) sells it for $800. Reviews I have read from owners on this message board and www.audioasylum.com have been mixed, especially with respect to SACD playback. I have not had the opportunity to listen to the '47A, but for the money, the thing that bothers me is the build quality. It is a lightweight at about 11 lbs., which I did not expect given the price. Just my opinion.
Sony will be releasing the DVP-NS755V single-disc progressive-scan DVD/SACD player for $300 soon. See www.crutchfield.com for more information.

Kevin Kealey

Auditioning
Thanks for the input. Yes I'm in the US, sorry. I'm looking in the $500 - $1000 range for this piece. Broad range I know, but what the heck. Again, thanks much.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, no problem. Given your stated budget, the Sony 'NS900V and 'S9000ES and Pioneer Elite '47A are within reach. If you have Tweeter in your area, you might be able to do a side-by-side-by-side comparison of the three players. It takes the right salesman. They aren't always so cooperative when it comes to moving gear around for a demo.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Thanks for the information, Kevin.

I own the Sony DVP-9000ES and I love it. Build quality is the best I've seen in a sub-$4000 DVD player, and video and audio quality is superb.

The Pioneer is a new model, but it looks light, cheap, plasticy, and it's made in Malaysia as opposed to the 27 lb. aluminum and copper Japanese-made Sony. The Pioneer may have slightly better video quality than the Sony because it's newer and has the better Faroudja chip, but the difference is probably barely noticable, even on large displays. The Pioneer does offer more features (DVD-A, CD-R, CD-RW, and MP3 capability), so that might make a difference, but I'd still go with the Sony because of the far superior build quality and better audio. I paid $1100 for mine over a year ago and consider it worth every penny, so for $800 it's a steal.

The Sony DVP-NS900V is similar to the Sony DVP-9000ES, but it's a newer, cheaper version. The DVP-NS900V weighs half as much as the DVP-9000ES and has no detachable powercord, so it's build quality is obviously not what the ES model's is. The cheaper player also has inferior sound quality, but it does have more featues (multi-channel SACD, CD-R, and CD-RW capability). I'd personally go for the DVP-9000ES, but I'd take the DVP-NS900V over the Pioneer.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Justin said:

The DVP-NS900V weighs half as much as the DVP-9000ES and has no detachable powercord, so it's build quality is obviously not what the ES model's is. The cheaper player also has inferior sound quality, but it does have more featues (multi-channel SACD, CD-R, CD-RW, and MP3 capability).
The 'NS900V does not play MP3-encoded CDs. Sony is incorporating MP3 playback into its forthcoming CD and DVD players, such as the CDP-CX455 CD megachanger and the DVP-NS315, 'NS415, 'NS715P, 'NS755V, 'NC615, and 'NC655P DVD players.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Doesn't the new Philips that have progessive scan and multi-channel SACD? I think it will be out any day or just came out. It is $599 list.

stephen_z

Stunt Coordinator
Phil A is correct... Philips has a new model coming out (DVD962SA). It's already available by an e-tailer (PAC-2000... 5 star Yahoo rating) on Yahoo shopping for ~$475. But, the local retailers don't seem to know much about it. Features look impressive (multi-channel SACD; DCDi progressive; dual laser pickup for better CD performance; 12bit video dac). SACD performance is suppose to be similar to SACD1000... I'm hoping they cleared up any issues with video freezeup reported on their DVDQ50 model.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Justin,

No problem.

Phil and Stephen,

I was not aware that the new Philips player had been released. Of course, I should have mentioned the Philips SACD-1000 in my original post.

Tim Baldwin

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,

I don't know if you are aware of and/or sensitive to the chroma bug, but you may want to check out some of the numerous threads about it. While both of the brands/players you are considering are reported to have it, in varying degree, there are numerous owners of both who are happy with them. YMMV.

Another strategy is to buy a PS/DVDA player (say one of the new Panny's coming out) with arguably better video than any of those you're considering, and a separate SACD player (perhaps a Sony 775, which you could later mod for even better performance). Total tab would still be under your budget.

Joe Cole

Second Unit
Tim,

What are the new models by Panasonic and do you know when they are coming out?

I thought the Phillips would not have the chroma error.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Joe, Panasonic is supposed to be coming out with a DVD-RP82 progressive-scan DVD-Audio player this year. Frankly, I don't know if it supposed to be a replacement model for the well-regarded 'RP91 or a lesser expensive player by virtue of the lower model number (82 vs. 91). Thus, I don't know what the intended street price will be for the 'RP82, nor have I heard a release date. I fully expect the 'RP82 to be free of the chroma bug, based on the performance of the 'RP56 and 'RP91.

Chip E

Screenwriter
What a good job done here by all helping someone out... This is what the hometheaterforeum is all about.. I recommend the 9K as well, great piece. Build quality is superb, video playback is excellent and, don't forget Sony's excellent GUI and remote. The S9000ES has been in my rack since December 2000 and i have no immediate plans to change it out... Still love it. Good luck deciding Kevin. You definately have the budget to pick one of the best offerings out right now. :emoji_thumbsup:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chip, haven't seen you here in awhile. Welcome back! I agree that for $800 (Tweeter's price), the 'S9000ES is tough to beat. My brother loves his 'S9000ES. While I too wouldn't mind owning one for $800, I am considering the Denon DVD-3800 as an upgrade for my Technics DVD-A10 DVD-Audio player. While I wouldn't be using '3800 much, if at all, for movies (no HDTV, so my interlaced Sony DVD changer is fine), the possibility of the chroma bug rearing its ugly head on a $1200 player concerns me. We'll see what the reviews of the '3800 yield.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Keith,
Thanks bud... Yea, haven't been posting alot recently due to the new girlfriend and all the other stuff going on in my life. Life is good.. I'm posting from her house on a Mac! Lol, using a Mac is foreign to me! :)
Hey, i'd consider the 3800 as well but, in no way am i paying the kind of money they want for the 9000...just can't see it. If the price was somewhere near lets say, half of what it goes for, then maybe.

Joe Cole

Second Unit
Keith,
I have been 'looking' at the Denon 3800 since the rumors started. I find it mind boggling that Denon can not fix this problem with chroma errors. Are these companies all hiring the handicapped these days or is DVD a too flawed product with too many compromises to be fixed?
It has always seemed to my that the movie industry has hamstrung the DVD group and this has lead to technical problems in most players. They stopped true progressive machines by not allowing 480p films on the disks and tried to stop the industry from making 'progressive' players that convert 480i to 480p. And too many short cuts in coding.
It does seem to me that the fear of product thief has hurt the DVD. I could be wrong.
It still is better than LD.:)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Joe,

Very few companies make their own MPEG decoders.

Panasonic does. Pioneer might.

Toshiba, Sony, JVC all use 3rd party MPEG decoders.

That covers the top 5 brands.

Regards,

Tim Baldwin

Stunt Coordinator
Tim,

What are the new models by Panasonic and do you know when they are coming out?

I thought the Phillips would not have the chroma error.
Joe,

The 62 is due out in early june. Don't know about the 82, but hopefully not long thereafter. I also would expect the Philips to be clean, since the Q50 was fixed. I'd mentally skipped over the Philips, and was talking about the Sony and Pioneer models discussed - sorry for the confusion/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks