Progressive scan and Projectors

Discussion in 'Displays' started by BrettisMckinney, May 15, 2005.

1. BrettisMckinney

BrettisMckinney Second Unit

I just purchased the PTAE700 Panasonic projector. Its on order, so havent recieved it yet. Just a quick question, my dvd player at the moment is a Toshiba, and its not progressive scan. Should i be looking at upgrading to a progressive scan for use with this projector? The purpose of it is mainly for dvds.

If so, any suggestions for a reasonable priced player.

Thanks guys

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

The projector will scale the video to it's native panel resolution, turning it into a progressive signal in essence. Improving on the projector's processing can help by using out-board processing, or using a better source, but your video will already be progressive because of the projector, so the difference will be subtle between different processing, IMO.

3. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

4. frankinG

frankinG Stunt Coordinator

I also own a panasonic 700 and have operated this unit with an interlaced signal and a progressive signal. I prefered the interlaced signal with my calibrated projector. Just to add that I also operate it with a panasonic DVD S97 with the hdmi input. What I find is that the shadow detail on this projector is MUCH better with the straight digital connection. I find that it loves being sent an upconverted 1080i signal and then converting that to its native format of 720. This of cource is just my own findings after playing with this unit for quite a long time. My friends comment how smooth the picture looks set up this way. I operate this projector in the cinema 2 mode with the sharpness turned down to -6 and the contrast at -6. Being a professional projectionist has tought me a few things about calibrating digital projectors for large viewing screens. Want to know a little tip? Put a close up of a persons face in a normal lit scene on pause from a dvd and go through your picture modes until all the actors complections look smooth with no blotchiness. Turn your contrast a little down from the factory presets and the rest of the picture will follow along. Let us know how it turns out. Best of luck[​IMG] PS. Using calibration disks to set up your projector to so called acurate standards will usually amplify any video noise and artifacts from bad dvd transfers. This is why isf calibrators always work with the customer personaly and let them see whats going on. You will be surprised and what technicaly is correct and what LOOKS correct.

5. BrettisMckinney

BrettisMckinney Second Unit

FrankinG, thanks tons for the info! I was definately going to use a calibration dvd once i get my projector. So i will follow your tips and see how i go. I

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Let me just say that I disagree with calibrating without using any reference standard. There is the clear desire to reproduce what is intended by the director and creators of the content, and that is why we have standards, and why we calibrate to them.

Trying to set things without test patterns will not achieve the best reproduction of the intended video. *Always* use a proper test disc to calibrate a video chain.

7. John S

John S Producer

Lots of modern displays really do seem best on DVD by taking 480i DVD fed via the Component Cables and then doing it's own thing to get it displayed. LCD Projection in particular for whatever reason.

8. frankinG

frankinG Stunt Coordinator

Chris is correct when saying that a calibration disk should be used to initially set up the display device. I should rephrase my self and add to my comments. I come across large numbers of video transfers and the inconsistency of them are common. Just like there are better directors, better digital dvd mastering companies, better cameras, better camera operators , better cinematographers, (I think you are getting the point now?)The adverse styles are so varied that one persons filming of a movie could be much different than another persons. The 2 largest factors with the original film itself and the dvd transfer is BUDGET and the STUDIOS desire to have the transfer the best it could be. If every dvd was consistent in picture quality then a set standard would be okay. But being in our diversified world where everyone looks at the same apple differently, we come across the problem first hand. Dvds are all different in the way the film was originaly shot and the transfer itself. Look at it from this perspective. Some dvd movies are overly dim with poor contrast and lousy shadow detail. Why are dvd,s being re-released on occasion? Because the transfer is lousy in the first place. The studios know this and the pressure to improve them not only gives us a second chance to see a better picture but also puts pressure on the industry as a whole to give us high quality transfers EVERY TIME. Poor transfers dictate different display settings than good transfers to keep the picture quality consistent. I come across this all the time in my profession after people blame me for the so called mediocre projection session. Try to tell the average movie goer that the source material was the problem and they look at you like you are lying to them. GOOD THEATERS WILL RUN A FILM AND ADJUST THE PRESENTATION SETTINGS BEFORE EACH DIFFERENT MOVIE IS RUN. This is a pre-requisite at any cinema where GEORGE LUCAS has his THX films playing in. I will bet that 99% of the general movie public does not know this. I believe that calibration disks should be used as a baseline and then tailered individualy as what looks good to them. High quality display devices, especially large projected pictures show EVERYTHING in the source material. These anomalies can be masked with fine tuning of the picture controls. No, they probably will not be calibration disk correct but your eyes will thank you for it [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. TimJP

TimJP Auditioning

I just purchased the Panasonic AE700 projector myself. I am waiting on my screen to install it.

How good will my Denon 3800 DVD player picture quailty look through the AE700 ?