Progressive questions regarding recently purchased Toshiba SD-5700

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey Wiffen, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Jeffrey Wiffen

Jeffrey Wiffen Stunt Coordinator

I was under the impression that you could switch between Interlaced and Progressive output from the remote. From what I can tell you can only do it from the player. Help? Have I been to vague?

2. Jeffrey Wiffen

Further to my previous post.
    The manual states that you can switch the output signal using the remote (COLOR STREAM SELECTOR button) only when the SELECT switch on the back of the DVD player is switched to "P" (for Progressive).
    I've tried this but when i press the button I get the error icon.
    I'm having doubts that the player is actually in Progressive mode. Any way of know for sure?

I have an Sony XBR450 television and am using component cables.

3. Jeffrey Wiffen

Well I seem to have figured it out myself. It seems that when I shut off the unit and turned it back on, all was well. I’m not sure why, but no matter, it seems to work fine. I now can use the remote to switch between both Interlaced and Progressive out. I noticed a significant difference, for the better. One thing I noticed was that when I using Progressive out, it locks up my XBR’s DRC (interlaced, progressive, cinemotion). This doesn’t bother me. What does bother me however, is now my XBR does not automatically detect the anamorphic signal. I now have to manually turn on 16:9 mode on the television. This is irritating, but not unacceptable by any means. What is unacceptable is the MP3 playback. It’s bloody horrible! I didn’t buy the SD-5700 for it’s MP3 playback, but I thought it would at least be a cool feature to have. It’s awful, awful, awful! Am I missing something? The MP3’s sound fine everywhere else I play them. Suggestions? Something else I noticed, was when I played a few CD’s (some HDCD’s), I noticed that the left channel was weak. Or it could be that the right speaker was too harsh. Not quite sure. Now that I think about it, the left speaker sounded warmer. But all I really noticed last night was the fact that the left channel was noticeably weaker. I don’t know how else to explain it. The thing is that I didn’t notice it with my Sony CD player, or my last DVD player. So I wonder if it’s the SD-5700’s analogue output possibly. Suggestions?

4. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

You have discovered in one fell swoop many of the quirks of both your Toshiba SD-5700 and Sony XBR. Yes, to switch between progressive and interlaced on the SD-5700, the switch in the back needs to be on progressive. Yes, when you are outputting a progressive signal, the DRC on the Sony's is bypassed. This is because your DVD player is already doing the line doubling, and there is no need for your TV to do it also. Yes, when using a progressive signal, your Sony no longer autodetects 16:9 enhanced. This is an annoying quirk, but one that will not drive you nuts. Despite these quirks, I have had my Toshiba SD5700 and Sony 43HT20 paired for over a year, and the performance of both is superb. In general, the sound quality for CD's on the 5700 is ok, not great. You're definitely better off with a standalone CD player though. I believe there have been complaints regarding MP3's in the 5700, but not sure because it wasn't an issue for me. I just use it for DVD's. Enjoy.