Progressive Players -Are Different Makers Any Different?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Hunt, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Peter Hunt

Peter Hunt Stunt Coordinator

Greetings!

Well here's my wonderful question to ponder, rant, dismiss or spell correct at your leisure:

"Is a Progressive DVD all pretty much the same picture wise or is there a distinct difference? Am I only paying mind to asthetics and functions like that neat little bell and whistle?"

I am getting a progressive player to go with my yet to be determined HD ready TV (Toshiba most likely or a Sony or Hitachi). For wacky reasons I can only get (read *** bottom if you care why) a JVC ($300ish), Hitachi($300ish), Panasonic ($350ish) or the new Sony ($400ish) coming in (all Canadian funds, thought it was a lot didn't you!). I know I know, no model numbers, arn't I evil. Well as you see there's a varience in pricing.

Sooooo...? Any thoughts? Opinions? Good Thai Red Curry Chicken Bowl recipes?

Thanks!

Peter

I had a defect on my 1+ yr old Sony Player and the dept store I bought it from offered to replace it with a new one (woohoox1) and I asked if I could upgrade and pay the difference to a progressive. They aggreed (woohoox2).

2. Peter Hunt

Well I figured I'd get the ball rolling... People attract people right? Does that work for replies?

Well what I was going to add is I had originally gotten a Hitachi DV-P725U and had audio sync problems the first day. Audio over time would have an increasing delay as more time passed. Pause and hit play again it would be lined up. So I still have to return that player and figure out what to get.

Did I mention I'll give free* pie to anyone that responds?

Peter

*offer no valid in lower 48 states

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings
    I have a short review about the performance of the Hitachi Progressive scan unit over at errol's keohi site.
    In short ...
    Some type of chroma bug ... irritating.
    Image ghosting bottom 50% of screen ... really irritating.
    Progressive scan banding .... (I've had enough of this unit. [​IMG] )
    The DCDi works nicely though.
    Regards

4. Peter Hunt

Hi Michael,

Ok let's ignore the Hitachi option for now on. Between your review (thanks btw) and my audio sync problem I think it's out of the race.

5. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

Well, the general answer is yes, different progressive players are very different indeed.

Some areas where they differ:

1) De-interlacing performance: how often do they comb?

2) Video-based material: even players that behave well on film-based material sometimes have lousy performance on video-based material.

3) Presence or absence of the chroma bug.

4) Presence or absence of the "flicker bug" (may be only the Panny RP-56, don't know.)

5) General video performance

6) Presence or absence of scaling features which may or may not matter to you depending on what kind of TV you have.

7) Anamorphic downconversion performance (probably not an issue for you if you're getting a new HDTV)

Those are the things that come to mind. These are not convenience issues, but actual performance differences that affect what you see on the screen. If you look at all the progressive DVD threads in this forum (which could take you months), you'll see lots of discussion on all these issues.

Unfortunately, the search for the perfect DVD player continues, though in general the players have been getting progressively (sorry) better. You'll still have to pick which features matter to you the most, unless you're willing to pay a crapload of money, you can't have them all (not sure even then!)

6. Lou Grasek

Lou Grasek Extra

I have yet to purchase a tv but I do have a JVC progressive scan DVD player $200USD XV SA70B and am waiting for delivery of JBL Northridge speaker package and a JVC 8020 receiver. The TV choice so far is SONY 36 HD.

The DVD player has performed well for the last 2 weeks on my 27 Admiral TV. I have not noticed any flicker or other bugs when playing I have noticed a bright area like exposed film in the corner on some chapter menus when a do nothing button is pressed on the remote that is a button not appropriate for the choices. It goes away when playing.

Lou

7. Peter Hunt

Neil and Lou,

Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering how "standard" the output was off decks and I guess it's not as you were mentioning chroma and misc output variances.

I was looking for some justifications on the variance in price tags beyond it being called sony or panasonic and features I don't care about. Ok I'll search the threads and read the reviews and make the decision from there.

thanks guys.

8. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I just got the Hitachi player based due to the recommendations from the sales guy (and ya I do trust him cause I don't believe he'll bullshits me and he unlike the other sales guy I've dealt with was honest enough to say that the Pioneer Elite player was crap (had cromma bug and all). Anyhow I got this with store credit and plan to give it away as gift so I won't be testing it out. I've spoken to him again about the audio sync problems and the problems that Michael has had and I was wondering if you've just got a defective unit? If others have tried this unit and can give me what they think it would be great. I want to give the player away soon. Thanks