What's new

Progressive picture on XBR450... (1 Viewer)

Captain Spaulding

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
I'm not sure if this question should go here or in tht TV section, but..... I've tried both JVC and Sony progressive scan DVD playeres on my Sony XBR450. With both players,the intelaced picture looks better than the progressive. When switched to progressive mode, the colors become too saturated the picture looks less sharp. I've recalibrated when in progressive mode,but it does not seem to help much. I've always read that some line doublers do a better job than some progressive players. I can only think that the DRC and "Cinemotion" 3:2 pull down do a better job...at least to my eyes. Anyone agree?

Brian Shannon

Stunt Coordinator
I have been very pleased with mine.
I got the new Sony 700p for my 36XBR400.
I am not sure if there is or should be a difference with the 450.

Darryl_B

Stunt Coordinator
I can only think that the DRC and "Cinemotion" 3:2 pull down do a better job...at least to my eyes. Anyone agree?
Quite possible. The XBR450 has 3:2 Pulldown, which is the main reason we buy progressive-scan players. There are a few new owners of the xbr450 around here that actually prefer an interlaced player over a progressive one. You may be better off with interlaced as well.

JenaroM

Stunt Coordinator
I found this thread from last July. I just got my XBR450, and am planning to buy the Sony NS700P. Does anybody agree with the last post to buy an interlaced player instead?

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Jay,
This is exactly what I was getting at in this thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/046495.html
I was asking if cheap progressive players are worthless due to the TV's progressive picture being better. From what I understand, you can't use both, so you either use the one built into the TV or the one in the DVD player, but if the one in the TV is better, it is worthless to have progressive on your DVD player. You need a DVD player with a better progressive picture than your TV to make it worth buying. That's my understanding anyway.
[Edited last by jeff lam on November 16, 2001 at 01:00 PM]
[Edited last by jeff lam on November 16, 2001 at 01:01 PM]

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
My experience has been the opposite.
I have a 36XBR450, and used it initially with an interlaced player.
Then I switched to the Sony 700 and demoed between interlaced and progressive.
Ultimately I ended up with the Panasonic RP91 (I could see the infamous chroma-bug with the Sony player).

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Well I'm sure the RP91 has a much better progressive picture than the cheaper DVD players with progressive. Therefore you would see an improved picture with the progressive enabled on the DVD player.

For all those concern, with the XBR450 CineMotion process, there is really no need for a progressive scan DVD player. In a compairson between the progressive scan DVPNS700P and the DVPNS300 with CineMotion, in my opinion the 700 looked worse. Since the Cinemotion technology is just like a progressive scan DVD, why would you not save your money and get a good interlaced DVD player instead of a progressive DVD?
Matthew
[Edited last by Matthew Woodley on November 17, 2001 at 07:36 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks