Progressive or Interlaced output to an HDTV?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by jeff peterson, Sep 29, 2003.

1. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

I'm sure I've read about this topic before but couldn't find it on a search. I just got a Denon DVD 1600 hooked up to a Toshiba 50H81 HDTV. The TV has good reports of its line doubling capabilities.

I remember reading that depending on the quality of the televisions line doubler, there may not be much difference in quality between the player's interlaced output and its progressive output. What I'm asking is could the PQ appear SOFTER when set to progressive than interlaced? Perhaps the interaction between the TV's doubler and the progressive scan?

I think I'm preferring the interlaced output. I know, I know, if I like it, that's all that counts but looking for opinions.

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Your Denon 1600 uses the Farjouda FLI2200 DCDI chip to perform the interlaced to progressive conversion and it will send a 480p signal to the TV. Your TV set then takes this 480p signal (and 480i as well) and further converts it to 540p. The line doubler in your years toshiba is pretty good, but the upconversion to 540p was known to cause additional artifacts. So in your case, it doesn't really matter if you send 480i or 480p from the player as it gets upconverted to 540p anyway. It seems to me that if you let the player output 480i, your only doing one conversion, from 480i to 540p, which is done by the TV's line doubler. If you output 480p from the player, then the dvd player is doing a interlaced (480i) to progressive (480p), then the set is again converting from 480p to 540p. It appears as if there is less converting of the signal by outputting 480i from the player. At least that's my thoughts, which could well be wrong [​IMG]

3. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Thanks for the reply, Greg. That makes complete sense to me.