Progressive Lo

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by dave_brogli, May 6, 2002.

1. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

I have a JVC Progressive player.... Its run to my tv via component cables (AR). I have noticed that when the camera is still(or when there is no fast action), the picture looks better than anything I have ever seen...... but when theres moving (example Watched Not another teen movie ewww) there is like scanning problems.... umm I dont know what its really called but you can catch like little digital trails off of the peoples face(thats where I noticed it best)Oh and it did it after I turned off the progressive to?? Any ideas?? Sorry I couldnt be more detailed!!!

Thanks

Everyone

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

I didn't quite understand what you are trying to say, is the problem occurring in progressive, in non-progressive, or both?
    If in progressive it could be an inferior de-interlacing of non-film material.
    Is there a selection in the DVD player for film mode, video mode, etc? If so try different choices.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

Yeah it happens in both.... argghhh if you all could see it you'd be like yeah thats not right!!! I will try monkeying around with it [​IMG]

4. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

It's hard to say exactly from your description, but on ALL DVDs there is some degradation with motion, because this is inherent in the MPEG-2 encoding. With careful engineering and enough bits allocated, it is minimized, with the extreme being so-called superbit DVDs, where the extras (e.g., making-of documentaries) are tossed out so there's more space for the film.

But, I can't tell from your description whether this is what you are seeing, or something much, much worse.

A useful test would be to rent a superbit DVD (I think Air Force One is available that way, as are others) and see if the problem is reduced.