What's new

Progressive/Inerlaced??Am I nuts?? (1 Viewer)

wayne lacina

Auditioning
Greetings to all:

I just bought and setup Pioneer SD533hd5 along with

a Progressive DVD player. I set up initially with Video Essentials but I cant believe the difference in clarity

between progressive and interlaced. I may be nuts but

interlaced is clearer and more detailed while the progressive (component input) is softer?? After reading

various forums threads on how progressive is better,

I have to ask am I doig something wrong. Any input

would be greatly appreciated.

Live Long and Prosper??

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Progressive scan needs twice the video bandwidth and shortcomings show up first as loss of horizontal resolution. Getting a better component video cable set is a good first step to try to improve things.
If the shortcoming is inside the TV set, there is no fix. Twice the bandwidth is also needed all the way from the component input jacks, through the video amplifiers, to the picture tube(s).
Other video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The resolution chart for AVIA is a good test of i versus p.

The p will provide much greater resolution than the i portion.

Typically ... 540 versus 500 lines.

VE does not have such a pattern so you cannot do this test.

Regards

Brian Fineberg

Second Unit
are radio shack gold HT cables sufficien to be usedas component cabels? or should I get ones that were made for this sole purpose(will I notice big difference) I have a sony 51hw40 HDTV.

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
When I first went to progressive, I too thought it was not as good as interlaced. To me, the picture looked too soft as well. However, after A-Bing several times and looking at fine detail, I now see it is being much more filmlike and smooth. Everyone once in while I switch back and forth, and progessive scan always wins with a much more natural look.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Since it is almost impossible for the average consumer to measure the bandwidth of cables, I think that, if you are getting cables from Radio Shack, to get HDTV grade cables.

Since component video can be interlaced, progressive, or HDTV, just "component" does not imply the grade of cable.

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne,

What type of progressive scan player do you have? Are you sure it's outputting a 480p picture?

You TV has a line-doubler built into it, so whenever you send it a 480i signal (interlaced DVD), it will upcovert it to 480p/960i or possibly even 1080i. The doubler in your set may be better than the method used in your DVD player....especially if you got the Pioneer DV-434. They market that as a progressive scan player, but the de-interlacing method is very poor - easily beaten by any TV with a decent line-doubler.

-Ryan Dinan

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I have a Sony 36XBR400 and purchased a Toshiba 3750 progressive scan to compare and possibly replace my Toshiba 2109 interlaced player. However, I found the 2109 to be superior to the 3750 on my setup. Perhaps if had a RPTV or FP setup a proscan would have looked better. But I'll keep my 2109 until it is necessary to replace.

Interlaced 1

Progressive Scan 0

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks