What's new

Progressive from S-Video? (1 Viewer)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Can you get a progressive signal from S-video?

I thought this only happened with component cables. I thought you couldn't do HD resolution off of a S-video.

A friend of mine has bought a CRT FP a old sony, and it has RGB and S-Video and another connector I've never seen before. But he also has a deinterlacer. And the deinterlacer only has S-video in, but VGA out and RGB out. And it scales all of these high resolutions. But for some reason it's not working, he gets the double picture when he turns on the deinterlacer.

What's up?:frowning:

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Likely the RGB section is analog as well. RGB does not always meet proper refresh rates or progressive scan.

Regards

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
So how in the hell does he have a deinterlacer that has all these resolution options, and all off the in and outs on this thing is composite? This just doesn't make any sense to me.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
A friend of mine has bought a CRT FP a old sony, and it has RGB and S-Video and another connector I've never seen before. But he also has a deinterlacer. And the deinterlacer only has S-video in, but VGA out and RGB out. And it scales all of these high resolutions. But for some reason it's not working, he gets the double picture when he turns on the deinterlacer.
I think I see the problem. Your friend's "old Sony" may not be capable of accepting a progressive signal, even though it has RGB and component inputs.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Ok, that's what we were thinking. Thanks for clearing that up Robert, I really appreciate it.:emoji_thumbsup:

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
What is the model number of your friends CRT projector?

Chances are he will need to buy a transcoder to change the progressive signal into a RGB signal.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Ok check it out. He has a scaler it has S-video in only, but it has RGB out with two extra connects for v and h. My question is how the hell does the scaler take s-video in and puts out all these different resolutions? I mean it has every resolution possible for output. How can this be done? Does this mean they'll all be interlaced but just at a vey high resoultion like 1080i?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks