What's new

Progressive DVD Players and Aspect Ratio Control? (1 Viewer)

Jael

Agent
I have a Panny PT47wx42 and am looking towards getting a progressive scan DVD player. I understand that the old model locked into full mode when fed a progressive source making a scaling DVD player a recommended accessory. The new model, '42', allows for all scaling except 'just' (stretched) mode. I guess I'm not quite clear on this scaling need? Non-animorphic dvd's need to be scaled, yes? Do I still need a scaling DVD player? Could somebody explain this to me?

Thanks a ton!

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
You can use "zoom" mode on your TV to fit non-anamorphic content to the screen. But scaling at the player is widely regarded as yielding a better quality image vs. zooming on the TV.

since your player does not lock into full mode i would say don't worry about it - unless the majority of your viewing material are non-anamorphic DVDs.

Jael

Agent
In that case any recommendations for a well priced Progressive DVD player?

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
I just got a Toshiba 4800.
I have 16x9 57" TV capable of 480p and 1080i inputs.

The TV does not lock on 480p signals, so I can zoom on the TV and compared zooming on the TV to scaling non-anamorphic material at the player.

Scaling at the player results in a much nicer picture with no visible scan lines. It basically looks like "soft" anamorphic material. Mary Poppins and True Lies were the two titles I used to do the comparison.

I also liked the fact the 4:3 material is presented with black window-boxing generated by the player rather than gray window-boxing generated by the TV.

Andy

Alan Benson

Stunt Coordinator
In that case any recommendations for a well priced Progressive DVD player?
Right now I'm leaning toward the Malata 520 as a progressive player with great zoom and complete X:Y scaling features, plus the region-free and PAL conversion...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks