Progressive DVD Players and Aspect Ratio Control?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jael, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Jael

Jael Agent

I have a Panny PT47wx42 and am looking towards getting a progressive scan DVD player. I understand that the old model locked into full mode when fed a progressive source making a scaling DVD player a recommended accessory. The new model, '42', allows for all scaling except 'just' (stretched) mode. I guess I'm not quite clear on this scaling need? Non-animorphic dvd's need to be scaled, yes? Do I still need a scaling DVD player? Could somebody explain this to me?

Thanks a ton!

2. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

You can use "zoom" mode on your TV to fit non-anamorphic content to the screen. But scaling at the player is widely regarded as yielding a better quality image vs. zooming on the TV.

since your player does not lock into full mode i would say don't worry about it - unless the majority of your viewing material are non-anamorphic DVDs.

3. Jael

Jael Agent

In that case any recommendations for a well priced Progressive DVD player?

4. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

I just got a Toshiba 4800.
    I have 16x9 57" TV capable of 480p and 1080i inputs.

The TV does not lock on 480p signals, so I can zoom on the TV and compared zooming on the TV to scaling non-anamorphic material at the player.

Scaling at the player results in a much nicer picture with no visible scan lines. It basically looks like "soft" anamorphic material. Mary Poppins and True Lies were the two titles I used to do the comparison.

I also liked the fact the 4:3 material is presented with black window-boxing generated by the player rather than gray window-boxing generated by the TV.

Andy

5. Alan Benson

Alan Benson Stunt Coordinator