1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Progressive DVD Player or ISCAN Pro

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Fred R, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Fred R

Fred R Auditioning

I have a Sony KP-61HS10 and watching satellite programming is very painful I have read elsewhere that my TV doesn't mate well with the ISCAN. I would like to improve the quality of my satellite programming and get the bonus of progressive scan DVD play. Will I be disappointed if I go this route? Should I get a new prog DVD player?

2. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

Well, a progressive scan DVD player won't help much with satellite material. My advice would be to do one of two things:
    1. Buy an Iscan Pro and try it out, it's the only way you'll know for sure how will it works/doesn't work with your tv.
    2. Build a Home Theater PC. You can use a software DVD player to output a pure progressive signal and even scale it to HDTV resolutions. You can use a video capture card to get external signal like satellite and use a free program called DScaler to scale those signals to 480p or an HDTV resolution. The cost of a decent HTPC would only be a couple hundred more than an Iscan pro. See www.avsforum.com, the HTPC forum for all the details on DScaler and HTPC construction. You could also just use DScaler to scale an external DVD source. The quality won't be as good as using a software player, but it will make your life simpler, you'll just be using your HTPC as a scaler. I use mine this way running Win2000 and I never even know it's there. I just boot it up, start DScaler and leave it alone (sometimes for weeks on end).
    ------------------
    "Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde